• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Obsession

Barrel Char Wood Products

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
I need to take and post some pics...

My limitation right now is that primary fermentation occurs in our kitchen, limiting it to 3 carboys that cover about half of the kitchen table (where the kids eat breakfast). My wonderful wife tolerates these black plastic trashbag covered bubbling menaces taking up space on the table as long as the kids can eat their cereal.

Because I was able to get fresh apple juice from my friend twice in a couple of weeks, I just had to start a 4th batch which is fermenting on the kitchen counter next to the microwave. My wife frowned a bit but didn't snarl, but I think I am at the limit of what I can do. So I get to start about 4 batches every 6 to 8 weeks, replacing the ones I rack and send downstairs to age with new ones. In those terms, I have enough honey for 4 months...

Brewboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 7, 2005
Green Bay
Hi! I've been lurking in this forum long enough, so.....

I guess by everyone's definition, I am obsessed with mead, as well as beer. Started this "hobby" by brewing beer, tried making a mead, and now make as much mead as I brew beer.

After many trips to Sam's Club for their honey (hey! a guy's gotta start somewhere!), I now have a source of locally produced clover honey, and recently bought 72 pounds from him. (My wife just shook her head when I told her.)

Currently I have 10 gallons (2 different herbed clover meads) in primary, 5 gallons cyser in secondary, and an additional 50# clover honey waiting its turn. (This is in addition to the 35 gallons of various beers in primaries and secondaries.)

Obsessed is:
....when you worry that the CO2 level in the basement could possibly extinguish the pilot light of your water heater.

....when your wife no longer calls it the "basement" but refers to it as "the brewery".

BrewBoy

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Brewboy,

Welcome to the forums and our little world of obsession.

Now you've got me worried... maybe I should install an O2 sensor in my basement... I'd really hate to have the waterheater and furnace go out... ;D

David

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey Pewter,

Sounds to me like your wife is a good candidate for beatification!!

Maybe a nice evening out on the town, dinner, dancing, and a movie are in order to let her know how much she's appreciated! Seriously!

I have a lot of buddies whose wives won't let them brew at home, so that's why the traffic in my meadworx get's heavy from time to time.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Then there're the wives who brew contingent!

My boy's buying the next round of beer stuff for me, hahaha...

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Thats how I got 'round the spousal disapproval, dragged the DH down to the brewshop and bought him a beer setup. Now he makes the beer, I make the mead, wine and cordials, and our friends get to drink it all.

Vicky - back and whipped from a weekend of killing clays in black powder competition

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
I know I've said this elsewhere, but can't resist praising my DH again. He says nothing about the intermittent expenses of the hobby, the room it takes up in the house, the long phone conversations with another homebrewer, or even about the days I'm racking and bottling, when all he might get for lunch from an obsessed wife is a sandwhich. And he can't even drink any of it. Oh - and these weeks when I've been thinking and talking about the Meadly Tale almost exclusively, he's been interested and responsive where most people's eyes just glaze over.

Miriam

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Re: Obsession - just a bit naughty

You know you're obsessed when you start taking show tunes and turning the lyrics to mead... Got part of this stuck in my head at work, and had to advance it a little further... only completed about a 3rd of the tune anybody want to pick up where I left off?

To the tune of "Everybody Ought to Have a Maid"

Everybody ought to have a Mead,
Everybody ought to have a Hydromel,
Everybody ought to have a Melomel
To drink around the house.
Everybody ought to have a menial
brewing continual
And quieter than a mouse.
Oh, oh, wouldn't mead be delicious,
Washing down the dishes,
Sweet as a sin.
Oh, oh, wouldn't mead be delightful,
On the pull,
cashing in.

A mead to warm those pretty things
into offering the sort of things
You never get from a spouse:
Flute-ing up the bubbly,
draining several bottles,
Clambering to the bedroom,
lubing up the master,
sloshing all around the house!
Oh, oh, wouldn't mead be delicious,
licked from two dishes,
call it a Sin.
Oh, oh, wouldn't mead be delightful,
Eating out,
Breakfast in.

Everybody ought to have a Mead
to compliment a spanish meal
I think you'll find an aguamiel
goes graceful with a grouse:​

Wrathwilde

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Absolutely hilarious! ;D ;D ;D

For anyone who's wondering, the tune is from the Broadway show "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum."

Blast -- now I'm going to have this tune running through my head for the rest of the day.

Landon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 12, 2007
You might be obsessed if you:

Bought a rose bush so you can make rhodomel. (ok I haven't done this, but I will after I graduate. For now I just asked my mom back home to harvest and freeze all the rose petals till I get home)

Wish you could go back in time to change your major to viticulture/oenology :BangHead:

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Heehee. I didn't just buy one, I bought 10 so I'd have rose petals....

I have heirloom rose bushes, don't fertilize or spray them, just let them grow wild and prune them every year. We pick the flowers, admire them for one day, then ruthlessly pluck the petals and freeze them.

I've a bag in there now, and am waffling between doing a rhodomel, or making a rose cordial....

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns