• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Ready to Go on my first batch

Barrel Char Wood Products

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Hi all,

Just got back fron B3 and Trader Joe's. I couldn't wait till the week-end and took off early from work, made it to B3 only to find out they were out of the mead kits :-\ What a bummer! Soooo....I went to Trader Joe's and bought the only honey they had available in 3 lb containers, the mesquite :'( I also bought a small jar of TJ's clover honey to bring the total amount of honey to 3.5 lb. I will attempt Joe's recepe using the 3.5 lb honey, 1 orange, 2 cloves, 25 raisins, yeast and enough water to bring the total volume to 1 gallon. I have a 1 gal. dark glass bottle that was used for methanol that I rinsed for about 20 min. in continuous DI water flow and airated for 1 day. All ingredients will go in and I'll pray for the best. I only hope that the mesquite honey will not make my first mead taste like barbique LOL! If interested, I will keep you posted of the progress.

Ted

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Brewbear said:
All ingredients will go in and I'll pray for the best. I only hope that the mesquite honey will not make my first mead taste like barbique LOL! If interested, I will keep you posted of the progress.

Ted,

I'd never had mesquite honey until I moved to the southwest, so I had all sorts of preconceived notions about how it might taste. I am so glad I was wrong, because it is a very nice honey that goes really well with a wide range of recipes. It's one of my absolute favorites now.

And by all means keep us updated on your progress! Start a new thread in the Brewlog section. I'll be looking forward to it.

-David

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Ted,

You will be delighted with the mead, I assure you. Did you put in a stick of cinnamon? It's not too late, if you didn't. It goes really well with the orange and clove.

Once you've made this mead, you'll see that more advanced recipes are very doable as well, and you'll never look back.

Miriam

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
I'm in So.Cal.
I DID IT!!!! My first mead is on the way ;D
I will put a few comments here and I will post the recepe used and procedure in the Brewlog.
First, thank you all for the support, advice, and sharing your vast and varied experience.
Second, thank you Joe for the Ancient Orange, Clove and Cinnamon Mead recepe, this is what i used.
Thirdly, thank you Miriam for the cinnamon reminder. Thank you Gotmead.com for the great support and the awsome boards.
The Mead Gods were working hard on my behalf today. My Suburban failed the smog test and I had to leave it at the mechanic :mad: My second car overheated on my way to work....and you guessed it, I had it towed to the mechanic (same one). So...here I am, at home, with all the ingredients at hand and not much else to do 8). The original intent was to use blood oranges from my tree, but much to my dismay, there were none left - Cheyenne, my dog ate them! I stuck to the original recepe, which I will post in the Brewlog. "See" you there ;D
Ted

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Congrats!

You'll be hooked and brewing more in no time.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
As I related previously, I fumbled the yeast portion of the recepe :mad:. After 2 days, I get one bubble every 4 -5 sec. and there is some light foaming, but I am nowhere close to heavy activity ( at least I don't think so). Should I re-oxygenate and then re-pitch with half the amount of yeast ( rehydrated this time) just to give the whole lot a boost? Should I leave it alone? And pray HARD? Closet space is at a premium around here so my mead is in a dark colored 1 gal. bottle in my study, where the curtains are drawn so it is fairly dark.

If any of you good people have any words of advice, they are greatfully appreciated.

Ted

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
As long as you have activity you're fine. In fact a blip every few seconds sounds perfect for a 1 gal batch. Even if it did get off to a slow start as long as its doing something it should pick up in a day or two, no need to worry.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns