Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
  1. Default 5 Gallons almost clear in a MONTH????

Hi guys,

I just have a really silly question. I have a 5 gallon plain mead that I started the beginning of may. My question is this. It dropped a lot of sediment in the past 2 weeks, so much so that I had to rack it to another carboy. Now it is almost clear. I know this isn't normal, but I really don't have an answer for it. I know that if I took SG measurements answering this question might be easier, but I have always felt that taking too many measurements takes away from the magic of the mead. Any clue what may have caused this?

The temp in my basement has fluctuated between 55-65*F with the humidty fluctating between 46% and 56%.

I use b-brite sanitizers to sterilize my carboys.

Any help is much appreciated.

Langtoly

Default Re: 5 Gallons almost clear in a MONTH????

Quote Originally Posted by Langtoly
    I just have a really silly question. I have a 5 gallon plain mead that I started the beginning of may. My question is this. It dropped a lot of sediment in the past 2 weeks, so much so that I had to rack it to another carboy. Now it is almost clear. I know this isn't normal, but I really don't have an answer for it. I know that if I took SG measurements answering this question might be easier, but I have always felt that taking too many measurements takes away from the magic of the mead. Any clue what may have caused this?
    Nope, not a clue!

Although it sounds unusual, it's not unheard of. I've had a couple of meads finish out in a week, and they cleared not long after. I'm sure other folk on the list have similar stories.

A little more info on the recipe might be helpful -- what kind and how much honey, yeast strain, etc.?

<><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><><>
    Dan McFeeley

"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
    (The people's spirit is raised through culture)

3. Default Re: 5 Gallons almost clear in a MONTH????

Oops!!!!

12lbs Jones' Wildflower Honey
    4 Gallons tap water
    1 pkg Redstar Champagne yeast
    Yeast Energizer by LD Carlson

racked after 7 days into carboy containing 1 yeast Nutrient tablet by crosby and Baker. Aeration of primary occurs when I dump the must into the pail. Only concern is that the yeast may have been too old. but it was kept in my fridge.

thanks
    Langtoly

4. Default Re: 5 Gallons almost clear in a MONTH????

Ok here is the status on the mead that I am wondering about. I can read newsprint on the other side, granted its blurred by the glass of the carboy, but its still almost completely legible. I am thinking of calling this a miracle as I am just finishing my last bottle of my last batch from 2 years ago.

Default Re: 5 Gallons almost clear in a MONTH????

Quote Originally Posted by Langtoly
    Ok here is the status on the mead that I am wondering about. I can read newsprint on the other side, granted its blurred by the glass of the carboy, but its still almost completely legible. I am thinking of calling this a miracle as I am just finishing my last bottle of my last batch from 2 years ago.
    Don't complain -- just be sure to offer a libation to the gods of mead when you rack (after you take your gravity reading, pour the sample on the ground )
    <><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><><>
    Dan McFeeley

"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
    (The people's spirit is raised through culture)