Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
  1. Default Calculating Alcohol?

I racked my first gallon out of the 5 gallon primary 2 nights ago. It's been in there for about 3-4 weeks now. I racked it onto 2 lbs of peaches and an additional pound of honey and thus far fermentation is very slow.

The alcohol content of the must in the primary is about 13% . How do I calculate the final alcohol content at bottling when I have added additional sugars?

OH, I used D-47 yeast which is only supposed to go to 14%. Did I mess up by adding the additional honey?

Default Re: Calculating Alcohol?

Try the mead calculator at http://www.gotmead.com/making-mead/m...lculator.shtml

Make the "Target Volume" 5 gal (or watever your final volume is - probably 5.25 gal after honey addition ?) and tick the box.

make the "initial gravity" whatever the SG of your 5 gal is before racking (1.010 ?), and tick the box

Tick the box on "Additional sugars #1" and set it to 1 lb of honey"
    Tick the box on "Additional sugars #2" and set it to 2 lb of peaches"

The result is probably about 2% ABV, which you then add (in your head) to the existing ABV of the 5gal must (13%) - ie about 15% ABV if fermented to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by ciderman
    OH, I used D-47 yeast which is only supposed to go to 14%. Did I mess up by adding the additional honey?
    The residual sweetness left over after 14% ABV is probably a bonus, because it will enhance the peach flavour. A dry ferment will mean it has very little fruitiness (however, you probably don't want it too sweet - its up to you how you want to craft your mead )

3. Default Re: Calculating Alcohol?

thanks, I'll check it out.

I'll thank you too.

I dunno if it's cause I'm just not thinking right or whatever, but I cant figure out the Calculator at all.

I can't get the calculator to work either

David Baldwin
    Michigan Meadery LLC

www.michiganmeadery.com