• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How much fizz???

Barrel Char Wood Products

Commander Toasty

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 9, 2005
OK I confess - I am not a fan of barley wine, never have been. Just not to my liking. But my neighbor is and he recetnly asked me to make him a batch if he bought the ingrediants. So things are brewing nicely!

Here's the thing - I'm going to force carbonate and I don't know what the typical carbonation level is for barley wine. My recollection is that it has less fizz than beer. But I could be wrong!

So my question is what pressure should I use to carbonate, and for how long?

Many thanks to all!

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
CT,

I've never made one, but I am a fan of barley wines. The ones I've had didn't seem to be less carbonated than beer, but maybe that's a, shall we say, clouded memory issue. ;)

-David

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I liked the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine last time I tried it, and I noticed that the carbonation was less than their other beers. Good flavor and packed a nice punch too.

Cheers,

Oskaar

byathread

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Boulder County, CO
Had the opportunity to try a '99 and '00 Bigfoot last month. Very nice! Develops a distinct, slightly oxidized character in aging as well as becoming super smooth and rounded. Anchor Old Foghorn is also great.

And, in my experience, barleywines are less carbonated that your average beer. The link Dmntd provided is a good one.

Peace,
Kirk

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns