Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Of nutrients and Europe

I have read quite a bit about things suchs as Fermaid K and Lavin yeast and all.

Is there a good guide or such to such things, and where to get them in Europe.

The old country here seems to have only Kitzinger All Purpose and the likes. As well as generic Yesat Nutrients and Citrus Acid.

2. Default Re: Of nutrients and Europe

At www.brouwland.nl they offer several wine yeasts. At www.hobbybrouwen.nl/forum (a dutch forum about beer brewing) there's a guy called "SiriS" who sells several Lalvin products, including Fermaid K. I don't know if he carries wine yeasts.

3. Default Re: Of nutrients and Europe

Thanx, I'll check that out.

Btw, I am to conclude that you are a fellow Dutch mead maker?

4. Default Re: Of nutrients and Europe

Yep

Hey, I'm wondering if I can get an update on this question from nearly 10 years ago.

Anyone know of a shop selling fermaid k and diammonium phosphate?

...additionally, I do have some Young's Yest Nutrient and some Tronozymol from some previous fruitwine experiments. Should I just use those instead? I'm not really sure what they are made of.

You can get DAP at brouwmarkt.nl. they also sell nutrients as "energizer"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Don't Panic!

From Portugal to Poland, on a perpetual pursuit for more honey.....

Issues unique to the Netherlands at
    http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthr...880#post222880

Quote Originally Posted by loetz View Post
    ...additionally, I do have some Young's Yest Nutrient and some Tronozymol from some previous fruitwine experiments. Should I just use those instead? I'm not really sure what they are made of.
    The youngsters stuff is a good approximation of DAP (its main ingredient though both the listed ingredients are nitrogenous).

The Tronozymol won't be the same "recipe" as FermaidK, but again it's not far off and seems to supply a similar level of non nitrogen elements i.e. thiamine etc, though whether it contains the same level of nitrogen/DAP I don't know, but it seems to do the job in the same way.

If you're gonna use only one then the Tronozymol should be it. If you then want to up the nitrogen provision, use some young as well.

When I don't have FermaidK available I use 2 parts Tronozymol to 1 part Youngs........
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....

Quote Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
    When I don't have FermaidK available I use 2 parts Tronozymol to 1 part Youngs........
    Do you stagger these additions?

Do you stagger these additions?
    It's easy to work out the required amount if you know how much nitrogen and other non nitrogenous nutrient is supplied.

which is why, if possible, I try to use Fermaid and DAP as that can be weighed out with some degree of accuracy.

There'd be no guarantee of accuracy if you use Tronozymol and Young's nutrient vice FermaidK and DAP, but I'd suspect you wouldn't be a million miles away.

there's an academic paper out there I've read, but haven't got a link or copy that said about using up to 85% of the total nutrient can be front loaded with the last 15% added at the 1/3rd sugar break. Using that as a vague guide, how you'd split up the first amount/85% into more than one single dose would be up to you......
    and don't forget

Quote Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
    ..which is why, if possible, I try to use Fermaid and DAP as that can be weighed out with some degree of accuracy.
    I'd rather stick with the well documented Fermaid and DAP. Where do you get yours?

I'd rather stick with the well documented Fermaid and DAP. Where do you get yours?
    So far, mail order from the US (actually there's an ebay seller I've got FermaidK and GoFerm from).

The Youngs yeast nutrient is di-ammonium phosphate and ammonium sulphate, so both sources of nitrogen - and considerably less hassle than finding pure di-ammonium phosphate. Likely providing the same 200 ppm per gramme per litre nitrogen.

You're reason for wanting to stick to the Fermaid is pretty much why I source it i.e. it's well documented with known provision. Actually that's why I stick mainly to Lallemand products, just that it can be hard work getting anything that's not packaged and aimed at the home brew market.

I'm thinking of contacting the Lallemand office in France, as they're the nearest to me. Your local contact is likely to be

LALLEMAND Specialties GesmbH. Triesterstraße 4a
    2353 Guntramsdorf
    Austria
    Tel : 02236 506 299 - Fax : Fax : 02236 506 299 17
    e-mail: weintechnologie@lallemand.com
    www.weintechnologie.at
    Though whether they have a minimum quantity for selling or at least a local distribution company (last time I was looking at the France office, FermaidK came in 2.5kg packs and I understand that the minimum was 10kg - don't know for certain as I didn't ask, just what I could work out from the website)........
    and don't forget

The brouwmarkt catalog is rather mouthwatering. Transport or postage is likely an issue - but as least the stuff is obtainable.

For UK readers as a small item of interest - Poundland are doing large bags of glass marbles for ... well ... a pound at the moment. I got some for topping up demijons to minimize the air.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by MourneMead View Post
    The brouwmarkt catalog is rather mouthwatering. Transport or postage is likely an issue - but as least the stuff is obtainable.

For UK readers as a small item of interest - Poundland are doing large bags of glass marbles for ... well ... a pound at the moment. I got some for topping up demijons to minimize the air.

MM
    From what I understand from what Doug (GntlKnigt1) has posted previously, the brouwmarkt
    site sells the stuff wholesaled by brouwland (in Belgium). This certainly seems to be the case for the stuff listed on the Brupak website, though they in turn distribute to UK hbs. So in
    theory, if your nearest hbs has anything off the brupak site they should be able to get anything from the brouwland range....... Though I'd suspect you'd get nonsense about special orders etc.....

If you like the listing on brouwmarkt, spend a month or so slavering over the brouwland site..... They really do seem to be an "Alladins cave" for home brewing.......
    and don't forget

AB Vickers in UK was acquired by Lallemand but can't get the web site to give retail info on products

Don't Panic!

Hmm....the vin-o-ferm trademark is owned by a Swiss company. http://www.trademarkia.com/vinoferm-79041325.html

Don't Panic!

Another hmmm.... I think vinoferm tannoblanc is Scott labs FT Blanc tannin that is recommended for fermenting meads. http://brouwland.com/setframes/?l=&t...%3D24&shwlnk=0

http://www.scottlab.com/product-122.aspx

Last edited by GntlKnigt1; 01-26-2014 at 08:36 AM.
    Don't Panic!

As a homebrewer, I'm pretty well acquainted with the b land site and their great selection.
    I checked out the brouwmarkt page and didn't see any go ferm or fermaid. Maybe I need to order from America... Do you use morewine? I might also be in the market for a lees stirrer.

Sent from my ST21i using Tapatalk

Only when I am planning to go to Chicago. Mannye once offered to be a conduit for people. Morewine will not ship internationally. For what its worth, I've not had issues with the European DAP and nutrients.

Don't Panic!

Chicago... I have a friend visiting family in south bend in a couple weeks and she offered to bring back a few things for me. What is the legality of transporting yeast? I would do it if it was just me but I don't want to put her in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast