• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Of nutrients and Europe

Barrel Char Wood Products

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
The stuff i got yesterday at Brouwmarkt is their blend of potassium sorbate, lemon acid, and potassium metabisulfite. I tried it on my speculaas batch. Will see how it works out

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
If this actually does a good job of stabilizing, it might even be more convenient than individual sorbate and sulfite. Will see how it goes.

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Last edited:

loetz

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 21, 2014
Austria
So while I wait for fermaid to be available in Europe, I suppose I'll use my Tronozymol and Youngs Nutrient. Can anyone help me plan out how to stagger nutrients with these two things? I plan to make a 5gal batch of medium-sweet traditional mead with my orange honey. I'll use 6.25kg of honey and Lalvin 71b-1122. I'm not sure what gravity that will give me.

I should boil the water and let it cool first, right? And drop a campden tablet in it?

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Pasteurizing by boiling and sterilizing by campden rather duplicates, but doesn't hurt. Since I don't know the formulations on those nutrients, I won't comment other than to advise to follow manufacturers instructions.

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

loetz

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 21, 2014
Austria
The youngs stuff says 1tsp per gallon.

Tonozymol says 1-2 tsp per 4.5l for dry wine. 2-3 for sweet wine. 4-5 for strong wine.

I'm wondering how I should stagger these two things?

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Ahh yes... I am aware of the cell wall thing, but find it easier and just as successful to front end load the nutrients and let the yeasties have a field day. The exception to my general rule is when doing a high SG must, wnen I will do an SNA. Otherwise, I find it is too easy to miss adding the appropriate amount at the appropriate time and run the risk of starving the yeast, with the resultant complications and odors.

In short, I have never had a problem front loading the nutrients. But, I usually say, follow manufacturers instruction, but you raise an interesting point. The yeast manufacturer and the nutrient instructions are not consistent. An interesting dilemma.

Last edited:

loetz

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 21, 2014
Austria
I emailed the tronozymol guys and was surprised to get a reply from someone with the last name Ritchie. His signature read that he was something like the 'product developer'... But sadly he rejected my request for information. I then asked if I could at least know about the yan, but I never got a reply. I suppose that its possible that their manufacturing process isn't consistent enough to guarantee a consistent product...

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Wow! Am surprised at that. Seems to imply that it was a conscious decision not to publish the info rather than an oversight or neglect. Disappointing. Copy your comment to the Hive, Customer Service section.....

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
well i didnt read the other 2 pages. Ive recently changed my practice from using DAP to Fermaid K. Had some side by side testing with a traditional fermented in a controlled situation using exactly everything the same except one used Fermaid K and the other DAP. To me it noticable better taste with Fermaid K.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
well i didnt read the other 2 pages. Ive recently changed my practice from using DAP to Fermaid K. Had some side by side testing with a traditional fermented in a controlled situation using exactly everything the same except one used Fermaid K and the other DAP. To me it noticable better taste with Fermaid K.

Did you have a control, with no nutrients?

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Hmm....would be interesting to replicate that.....with a control this time.

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
Hmm....would be interesting to replicate that.....with a control this time.

No one had a clear answer, but speculated that the honey was nutrient poor and the Fermaid K filled in the holes better than just DAP.

Either way for me the slight amount more ill pay for Fermaid K will def be worth it imo.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Which is basically why I consider those who like using a mix of FermaidK and DAP in the ratio of 1 FermaidK to 2 DAP on a fools errand.

Having read Kens article, nitrogen is important, but equally, so are the non-nitrogen elements. So I like to do 2 parts FermaidK to 1 part DAP, that way it seem that there's enough non-nitrogen elements while the nitrogen is getting boosted some.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
And the Davis short course decided taste was better with no DAP

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns