• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Katrina

Barrel Char Wood Products
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey all,

I don't know how many of us have relatives, friends, loved ones, etc. in the areas devastated by Hurricane Katrina. I'm sure we've all seen the newsreel footage when we glance at a television, or hear about it on the radio.

We have family in Mississippi who were able to contact us this morning on someone else's cell phone and let us know they are OK, and in tact.

Other people have not been so fortunate obviously. After getting that phone call letting us know they're OK we all breathed a collective sigh of relief. What my cousins described on the phone is a scene right out of hell. I'm sure you've all seen those images on the TV.

I just saw footage about an elderly couple in Louisiana who's car was swamped and washed off the road across from an alligator farm. As the water filled the car they went into shock, and the alligators were basically all around the car at a short distance. Some guy driving down the road saw them and their situation and put his life on the line to get through the gators to them. Say what you want, but that took balls of steel. I'd like to think that I'd be able to rise to the occaision like that and risk life and limb for a complete stranger.

I'm putting a link to the Red Cross here for anyone that is interested in donating. I chose the Red Cross only because I don't know of any other more deserving, or better equipped to mobilize and help. If someone knows of an organization that will use the funds better, please post it up.

I'm taking the funds that I was going to purchase my next five gallon bucket of honey, and some other supplies and donating that to help in whatever small way it can. I urge anyone else who is able, to do the same.

Here's the link:

http://www.redcross.org/

Oskaar

HomeBrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2005
Oskaar, I'm glad to hear that your family is well.

I hope that all those affected by the storm get all the help that they need to cope with losses and to restart their lives.

One other comment...If you do decide to donate to the Red Cross, check with your employer to see if they will match your dollar amount. Many companies do and it is a good way to increase the impact of your money.

Peace.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
::stickying this topic::

I have friends who live in the Garden District, and were organized enough to get out ahead of the general evacuation after stashing their stuff up on the second floor. But they may not be able to go home for months......

If you haven't donated, even if you can only afford a couple bucks, every penny helps!

CNN has set up a Help for Katrina Victims page here: http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2005/katrina/help.center/

You can post for families, for housing and to donate on Craigs List here:
http://www.craigslist.com/about/help/katrina_aid.html

and the New Orleans Times Picayune has a help center on the lower left of the main page, including a place for families to reach each other here: http://www.nola.com/

We are safe, dry and together. Hundreds of thousands are not, and may be homeless and bereft for months or even years.

Check with your employer, and see what they can donate in goods, services or money. If you own a company, then give what you can spare. Check to see if your employer is matching donations.

This disaster will not stop soon. The Hurricane Floyd victims from several years ago here in NC are *still* rebuilding, and there were many fewer of them.

GIVE 'TILL IT HURTS

Thanks for your support, and send your prayers (whatever your faith) to those who are suffering on the Gulf Coast.

Vicky - who will be donating through Scheider Automation where my hubby works, because they will match our donation

abejita

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
bottlebombs.blogspot.com
I live in Houston and I was at the Target near the Reliant Stadium today, where they are housing refugees who couldn't find space in the Astrodome. I saw a great many people of all ages wearing the pink bracelets that allows them entrance into the stadium, buying shoes, socks, underwear. People seemed to be in good spirits and the children were smiling and playing. It was good to see people who had made it through.

If you are interested, the Montrose Clinic in Houston is accepting donations to help them aid the refugees who have come here. They provide services to traditionally underserved communities (gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans, uninsured, and HIV+ people). A friend of mine works there, and told me that right now they are working hard to place HIV+ victims and to help all kinds of people get their medications. They accept donations through their website: www.montroseclinic.org

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I actually ended up giving my money to one of my buddies who's company will match funds. I figured I could give what I had, or I could give double. I went for double.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Only thing I'm able to do, is donate blood at this point. I realize it will likely not get anywhere near New Orleans, but since only 3% of people in Canada actually donate blood, I'm going to be helping someone somewhere.

I hate being poor.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Honey, I understand, believe me. Check your pantry. Got some canned goods you can do without? Donate those. I've done that lots of times. And if no one is collecting foodstuffs in your area, then donate it to a shelter. Help others. Its the principle of the thing....

Vicky - gonna donate a bit of money, and as much clothing and goods as I can manage

Ibiduin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2005
OCTOBER 5th!
Go out and eat with your family, friends and more!

The National Restaurant Association and the Red Cross are holding a nationwide fundraiser, restaurants around the US will be donating money from a single dish, or thier entire menu from that day to the Red Cross. Your paying to eat out, but helping out at the same time.

The website will be online later this week w/ details on who in your area is joining in.

http://www.dineforamerica.org/

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Gotmead friends,

I have a friend named Scott who is in Miss. Before the hurricane he commuted 70 miles to work. Now he cannot get to work because of the roads and probably couldn't get gas if the roads were open. I am headed to the Post Office today to send some things his way. He says the mail is getting through. But the website says they are not accepting packages for his zip code. I am going to try anyways. Mostly non-perishable food items. God bless the US Post Office. We curse them at times but this is an example of "neither sleet nor snow...".

The rebuilding will take years and we need to keep the victims of the devastation in our thoughts and prayers long after the media is done hyping the body counts...

Peace,
Pewter

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I am organizing several garbage bags of clothing, toys, books, and anything else around here that I think might help, and am planning to contact the shelter here in Raleigh that is housing evacuees that were flown up last week. If they don't want it, I'll donate at one of the several locations collecting for those still in the devastated areas or being housed in other parts of the country.

I don't have much cash, but I'm hoping that our small cash contributions and our goods donations will help someone in a small way.

Vicky

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
As a follow-up...

Scott received the money on Saturday so the Post Office did really well getting it there considering the conditions.

However, the two boxes of food still show as being in the Post Office where I dropped them. On the bright side though, so did the letter until it showed up as delivered. Hopefully the foodstuffs will arrive today or tomorrow though even in good times the Post Office quotes up to 9 days for delivery times...

Have a great week!
Pewter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns