Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Thread: Shipping mead?

1. Default Shipping mead?

Hi, all!

Anybody have a tried and true method of mailing mead via commercial and/or government (USPS) carriers? I am trying to get 2 bottles of mead from VA to VT with the least amount of headache possible. Thanks!

Brian

2. Default oRe: Shipping mead?

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg
    Hi, all!
    Anybody have a tried and true method of mailing mead via commercial and/or government (USPS) carriers? I am trying to get 2 bottles of mead from VA to VT with the least amount of headache possible. Thanks!
    Brian,

To addresses in the US I us the USPS. I have also shipped UPS with no problems. I ask friends to save me those wine club shipping boxes that have a styrofoam insert in a cardboad box. Usually the clerk asks me if it contains a liquid, and I lie and say no.

Shipping to friends overseas I use the same packaging, but when I fill out the required customs paperwork I always put that the package contains "yeast samples". In a way it's true; if you were good you could culture the yeast from the bottle.

Cheers,

Chuck

3. Default Re: Shipping mead?

I don't generally have occasion to ship internationally, so I use UPS.

I take the stuff I want to send to my LHBS, we pack and weigh it, and I give him cash for the shipping amount. UPS comes to the store and picks it up the next day. Works like a charm for me.

John

Default Re: Shipping mead?

I have had good success shipping via the United States Postal Service. Use a bit of PVC drain pipe and a couple of end caps. You cut the pipe to fit the bottle length, and cover the bottle with a plastic bag. Fill the ends with expanding foam - great stuff - and tape or glue the caps on. It makes an almost indestructible shipping container.

It should arrive in great shape - getting back into it could prove interesting if you glue both caps on...
    David Baldwin
    Michigan Meadery LLC

www.michiganmeadery.com

Default Re: Shipping mead?

Quote Originally Posted by David Baldwin
    I have had good success shipping via the United States Postal Service. Use a bit of PVC drain pipe and a couple of end caps. You cut the pipe to fit the bottle length, and cover the bottle with a plastic bag. Fill the ends with expanding foam - great stuff - and tape or glue the caps on. It makes an almost indestructible shipping container.

It should arrive in great shape - getting back into it could prove interesting if you glue both caps on...
    This is an excellent suggestion. I work in the shipping industry, believe me, there is no such thing as overpacking whatever you're shipping.