Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Default Open for suggestions...

Uncle Sam needs me, I have enough time to make a batch of Tupelo Mead. Here's my projected recipe, I'll apologize now, it will offend the purists of our group ;

(21 gallons)
    60# Tupelo Honey
    2 tsp Tannin
    10 tsp Yeast Nutrient
    5 tsp Yeast Energizer
    5 tsp Ghostex (yeast hulls)
    WYeast Dry Mead 3632
    Wine Makers Anti Foam
    2 1/4# Tupelo Honey
    1 1/4 Tsp Potassium Sorbate
    Kitosol 40 (clarifier)
    Potassium Bisulfate (@kegging-5/16 tsp per 5 gallon keg)

End game, I plan on having 4 kegs, 2 dry (still and sparkling) and 2 sweetened (still and sparkling).

Question is, will it be fine in the primary (glass carboys) until my return (6 months or more)? Or should I make arrangements to have it racked to a secondary?

I value everyone's opinion, any suggestions on the recipe? Recommend a mix? I also have wild flower and clover in stock.

I know Tupelo can have a high acid level, any ideas on a balanced titration level? (I was thinking .50-.55%, adjusting as necessary with acid blend or calcium carbonate.)

2. Default Re: Open for suggestions...

The only worry I would have is letting it sit on the dead yeastie-beasties that long. I have been told that will alter the taste of the Mead, tho I have not experienced it myself. I would have someone rack it one time and leave it at that. Maybe 2.5 to 3 months into it. At least, that would be my suggestion.

GOOD LUCK!

Default Re: Open for suggestions...

I would definately make arrangements to have someone rack.

I have made batches for friends that have been left in primary vessels on the original yeast for over a year. It has a distinct nose and aroma which is not unpleasant, the mead is sweet or dry depending on what recipe you use, but there is a marked mousiness with a streak of astringency in the flavor. The yeast imparts a very marked yeast characteristic that takes a lot of getting used to.

Not my first choice off the rack.

Keep your head down and your sh!t wired tight!

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?