• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Makin' me thirsty!!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Ok, so I am fairly new to this group and have been catching up on some of the old forums. Some people have talked about different types of Commercial Mead they have bought. Whenever I look for Mead, I am lucky if I can find Chaucer's. Anybody have any good ideas of where I can find more selections to try while I wait for mine?! I live in Durham, NC, if that helps!

frob23

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 5, 2003
There are tons of places to buy mead online. But many of them cannot ship to consumers. At least, consumers in certain states. Florida law prohibits alcohol from being shipped other than through the taxed distribution lines. I am not sure of where you are but you might run into that problem. No real need to research it... if you are in a bad state the meadery won't ship to you -- or they might and no one will know. But if you aren't the best you can do is try and get a distributer to order some for you -- not sure if this would work but worth a shot.

Or find someone who lives in a state that does sell it, or that it can be shipped to, ship it to you. Obviously this isn't going to be legal. But when it comes to the law I stopped worrying about them when the number I routinely break surpassed the fingers I have. As long as you keep it out of the public eye you should be safe. Of all the laws I would break or do break I think this one is probably the most justifiable -- since minors purchasing alcohol could happen, UPS drivers can check for IDs but how well could they be regulated? Yes, there are ways around this justification but it makes more sense than some laws... like the law forbidding my poker games when the pot exceeds $10. When you bet quarters and have 6 people the pot will be at $10 well before the end of a hand!

Well, rant mode off. Try some health food stores... oddly enough I found a natural food store near me that carries three different types of mead. I haven't bought any but I will soon.

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Thanks all!
I have ordered some from Rabbitsfoot... My state is one of the restricted ones, but Rabbits tells me that they have put in the paperwork to be able to ship here.
Rant warning: In California, I was able to buy hard liquor in any grocery or drug store. Here, you have to go to a state owned ABC store. You can't buy ANY liquor before noon on sunday, which happens to be when I go grocery shopping (cause the stores are empty!). Does anyone really think that buying beer before noon on Sunday means your going to consume it all that morning?! Why are these blue laws still in existence!? Doesn't the state have better things to spend their money on than a stand alone liquor store?!?

Ok! I'm done!

Hidalgo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2004
Heh heh...Those "stand alone liquor stores" make a heck of a lot of money for the state.

We have the same type of thing here in Idaho...when you buy something from any "liquor store" here...the check is made out to the State of Idaho. They are all state run.

I can, however, have mead delivered to my door here with no problems.

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
GntlKnght said:
Rant warning: In California, I was able to buy hard liquor in any grocery or drug store. Here, you have to go to a state owned ABC store. You can't buy ANY liquor before noon on sunday, which happens to be when I go grocery shopping (cause the stores are empty!). Does anyone really think that buying beer before noon on Sunday means your going to consume it all that morning?! Why are these blue laws still in existence!?
Consider yourself lucky. In South Carolina you can't buy anything before 1 PM on Sunday except gas and food. If you walk into a super Wal-Mart they rope off the grocery side and cannot allow customers into the dry goods area until 1:00. And no alcohol at all on Sunday. Here in Georgia I can buy most everything at any time, but cannot buy any alcohol at all on Sunday.

I do have a wine shop just a few minutes from me that says they can special order any mead I desire. They carry Chaucer's in stock, but say their wholesaler carries much more.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Yo!

Oskaar checking in from So Cal. It's booze paradise here! From 6:00 AM until 2:00 AM if you're hankerin' for a tug from the jug you're only choice is which store to hit and how much you want to spend.

It's a wine lovers paradise (I have a wine store that I go to frequently for my wine Jones, and one that I go to when I want mead)

They both ship and both have excellent inventory:

http://www.winex.com (my local wineshop)

http://www.hitimewine.com (just a few short miles away)

Oskaar

yabb_unknown_usr

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 28, 2005
Try Southern Seasons in Chapel Hill. They had Tej, and a sweet and a dry Mead last time I was there. The food co-op in Carrboro has "DESI'S DEW", a pretty good sparkling Mead.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns