Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
  1. Default Oxygenation/Aeration

Another question... yeah I know, so many questions. I set up the beginning of a blueberry melomel in the primary. I pitched the yeast and stirred and aerated like crazy. I then sealed and airlocked it. That was two days ago and I did not/have not aerated since. The airlock is bubbling every two to three seconds. I just read the Rules of Thumb post and saw that it is suggested to oxygenate for the first three days.

Should I have done this? Should I do this now? I was afraid to open the lid because I did not want to accidently contaminate the must.

Default Re: Oxygenation/Aeration

Yes you can do this now. If your using a bucket for primary, you can remove the lid and aerate using a sanitized whisk or spoon. If the must is in a carboy or jug, you can remove the bung and stir with a sanitized spoon, or you can agitate the must by rock/shake the carboy to aerate.

The more oxygen you get into the must during the first days of fermentation the better the yeast will propagate, larger yaest colony means better/faster fermentation.

Anthony

Default Re: Oxygenation/Aeration

Beware.... if you agitate too much, you will end up with a frothing mess!!!

(see Confectioner's Blueberry Wine log)