• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

my first born

Barrel Char Wood Products

citation36

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 23, 2004
Hi all,

Just wanted to ask those in the know. I just made my first batch of mead Joe's AOCC, followed the recipe exactly started on 8-28-05, temp 76-78, by 9-30-05 totally clear all yeast at bottom but still getting some gas activity from yeast about one bubble per 40sec. Is this normal? I kinda thought it would stop bubbling first then clear.

Thanks,
Phil

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Phil,

My first batch of Joe's Ancient Orange cleared very quickly -- really, before all the fermentation was completely over. I opened it early, and I probably shouldn't have, but it seemed ready. It was certainly drinkable, but it could have used more time in the fermenter. My advice is to let this sit for the entire three months. Your situation is not the norm, necessarily, but it does happen from time to time. Nothing to worry about.

-David

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Hey Phil,
I'm with David on this, sometimes a small amount of honey will settle at the bottom and even though the mead is clear, or at least appears to be, the yeasties are not done munching. Give it time.

Ted

citation36

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 23, 2004
Thanks for the replies, will sit on it for awhile and post the results in brewlog.
phil
(dying to taste it)

briankettering

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 2, 2005
As long as the airlock is bubbling, the yeastie-beasties are still doing their job.

As the wise and experienced brewers before me have suggested: give it time.

Brian K

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
I hope you didn't mean it literally when you said you'll sit on it ;D

Waiting....the hardest way to do nothing.
Ted

briankettering

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 2, 2005
Brewbear said:
I hope you didn't mean it literally when you said you'll sit on it ;D

Waiting....the hardest way to do nothing.
Ted

If you have time on your hands waiting for your mead or cyser to mature, go make some more mead! :D

Brian K

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns