• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Need your input on a Gotmead store

Barrel Char Wood Products

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Mouko,

Until Vicky has the storefront up and running, a couple of good places are:

http://www.morebeer.com/ These guys have pretty-much everything, but, to be honest, I don't find their site very easy to navigate.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/ A good general-purpose supply outfit.

http://www.eckraus.com/ These guys tend to be a bit expensive, and are more focused on wine than beer, but they have free shipping over $25, and that can make it worth it sometimes.

Once Vicky does have things to her liking, I suspect she'll be taking a goodly portion of my liquid cash each month. :eek:

-David

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Vicky,

How about a "USED" section of the store, where members who are wanting to sell their equipment can advertise?

Angus

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Angus,

GM already has a classified section here:

http://www.gotmead.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi

But, as you can see, it doesn't get any action. It's a pretty comprehensive thing, so I think we need a better way to integrate it into the more trafficked areas -- specifically, the Forums. Anybody have an idea? Would it be horrendously cumbersome or inappropriate to actually put the Classified Section INTO the Forum section? You know, with the usual, "GM isn't responsible if you get ripped-off, blah, blah, blah," disclaimer in place. People would look at it then.

-David

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I'm open to y'alls suggestions on integrating the classified section. Of course, if all y'all actually *went* to the rest of the site, you'd know it was there....LOL.

Also, the link called 'ads' up top takes you to the classifieds......

Vicky - 1200 pages of data, and you all hang out here ::shaking my head in amusement:: ::)

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Yep, us forum rats tend to crawl in here and never leave. ;D ;D

I have actually made it a new habbit to visit the rest of the site at least once a week.

Thanks Vicky for all the work you have put in here.

David

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Good on you, David! I understand Oskaar actually goes out and looks around too from time to time. That makes *2*!!! ::tongue firmly in cheek::

Seriously tho, I'm tickled that the forums are so popular, and that y'all find them useful. I think we have the largest concentration of mead info in the world right here in the forums, and y'all are the ones that made it happen.

Thanks. A lot.

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Vicky the Gotmead Webwench said:
Seriously tho, I'm tickled that the forums are so popular, and that y'all find them useful. I think we have the largest concentration of mead info in the world right here in the forums, and y'all are the ones that made it happen.

and

I'm open to y'alls suggestions on integrating the classified section. Of course, if all y'all actually *went* to the rest of the site, you'd know it was there....LOL.

Ya'll...?

Um...your Dixie is showing, dear.

-David

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
::laughter:: Hey, what can I say? "Yankee by birth, Suthern by the grace of *several* corporate tranfahs, y'all...."

You should hear me after a few glasses of mead.......and will get to if you come to the MeadFest. I'm interviewing this year, doing articles for GM instead of judging, so I'll be all over the place.

Now, if we can just get the podcast stuff up and running before then, we can do a live feed! (OK, *almost* live....)

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Angus said:
I do have to venture out there sometime. But it is so frightening :-[ :-[

Angus

Angus,

I reach, man. The fear, the fear...{shudder}...I went to GM's homepage once.

Once.

Ha! Just yankin' ya. I actually surf GM first for most inquiries, before going out to the great google beyond. The MLD archives alone are priceless. With a fulltime Meadwench here, we can expect the older stuff to get regular updates, and the newer stuff to always be new.

To that end, lets all dedicate ourselves towards a self-sufficiecy point on GM, when Vicky can work on it 24/7/365 (heh, heh -- just jokin'...you'll get coffee breaks), and she can pay a few bills. Money's tight for me, but I'll order at least some of my supplies through a GM site on principle alone. If we all order a few nutrients and airlocks here and there, we'll be doing ourselves the biggest favor we can by keeping GM "Wenchafide". If Vicky has to take on another "(Fill In The) _______ Site From Hell" job, in order to keep this aspect of our social, educational, and artistic needs alive, then shame, shame on us all!

-David

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Hold-on there, y'all !!!! You mean there's more than the forums?????
Just kiddin', the site has an overall coolness about it that I like and I keep telling people to visit it. I'm just curious to see who will be the first customer!

Ted

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
Vicky the Gotmead Webwench said:
::laughter:: Hey, what can I say? "Yankee by birth, Suthern by the grace of *several* corporate tranfahs, y'all...."

Better than in my situation. southern by birth, southern at heart, trapped in the north. In Illinois even (ewww!). And it's called soda, NOT pop.

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
David,

I agree with you whole heartedly. I will certainly buy stuff on GM to help keep it going. This is pretty much my exclusive source of brewing info now, so whatever I can do....

Angus

mouko_yamamoto said:
And it's called soda, NOT pop.

If you get tired of the flatlander's pop, just drive up over the border to WI and have a drink from a bubbler ???

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Naw, it's called *Coke*, no matter what kind it is.....6 years in Hotlanta. My daughter grew up asking for 'orange cokes', known to all outside the south as Crush.......

mouko_yamamoto, sorry you're trapped in the Nawth. I fled and am glad I did. I only venture back to visit family. I moved to the south in '89, and wild horses couldn't drag me back north of the Mason-Dixon. Dixie is my home now, and I'm glad of it.

You would have loved the Confederate memorial we do every year for Oakwood Cemetary in Raleigh. We put on skits about the War of Northern Agression and each features a man buried in the cemetary. Hundreds pay $6 a head to take the lantern-lit tour, and the money goes to upkeep for the cemetary....

Vicky - who served hot chocolate and cookies to the folks taking the tour

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
I know a few people here who also came from the south, and they ALL hate it here. Just can't get that sweet southern comfort. I used to also live in NC; and I still rep the panthers.

How this relates to a Gotmead store? I dunno, but Vicky, thanks for running an awesome site. ;)

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
No worries, mouko. Most threads around here get sidetracked at one point or another. I'm not anal about it, life is too short. I get my frustration at home, from my kid, ;D

Yeah, all my southern friends come back from Up North asking me how I stood it. I tell 'em I didn't know any better until I came here. They still call me Damn Yankee, but after nearly 20 years, it has a note of affection in it now.....I expect my grandkids will be born in the South.

I'll bet you miss sweet tea, grits and good barbeque (here where its a noun, not a verb), right?

Vicky - who has acquired a taste for the vinegar-based barbeque they have here in NC

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Oh no, another great topic to start: "Mead and BBQ - What's best with what?" :D

or:

"Post your best Mead based BBQ Sauce recipe".

You southerners are lucky though. BBQ is truly the greatest American food, and the South has it perfected. Yes, NC vinegar based sauces are great, but KC sweet sauces are still my favorite.

Angus

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Oh, Angus when I went to KC for work, I practically *bathed* in the stuff. I adore KC barbeque.

And if you've never tasted Memphis dry-rub barbeque, you haven't lived. Fantastic!

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Get it right, Sesh!

Pop is someone's father. Coke gets you into rehab.

It's soda! ;D

-David

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
If you stick me, I bleed BBQ sauce. :D

Tried every type: dry, wet, salty, sweet, vinegary from all over the country. Made a special pilgrimage to the Salt Lick outside of Austin just to taste their famous brisket.

Ordered the sauce from Ruby's in Austin for my smoked briskets. Not too sweet, not too salty, with a nice little burn to it. Mmmmmm.

Angus - now I'm hungry!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns