• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What did we enter in the International Mead Festival

Barrel Char Wood Products

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
I entered a very young (6 month old) Cherry Melomel Christened "Wanton Cherry" for the event. I was thinking of christening it "Jailbait Cherry" because it's still too young to enjoy. ::) I do not expect to win or even place with this one... as I think it is much too young and hasn't integrated well enough to be considered a challenge to the other Melomel's that I'm sure will be entered. I do think it is headed in the right direction, and in a year or two will be spectacular example of a Cherry Melomel. Wish I'd had enough left to enter my Acerglyn, Then I might have stood a chance. :'(

Wrathwilde

Brewboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 7, 2005
Green Bay
I entered a dry clover mead (1 yr old), and a semi-sweet orange blossom mead (18 months old).

I have a really good 4 year old cyser, but since I only have 5 bottles left, I'm greedily saving them for myself.

I don't anticipate placing with either entry...I just want the judge's feedback so that I can improve future attempts.

Good luck to all entrants!

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
I entered a high graivty Porter style Braggot, S.G. 1.130 - F.G. 1.012, pitched 10/24/05, primed & bottled 12/03/05.

I have no expectations of, or idea how it might fare.

Anthony

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
I suppose I might have entered had I thought about it as an opportunity to get feedback but generally I have too much pride/ego? to send something that is not ready out for public scrutiny. Maybe next year...

I suppose that I am spoiled by the fact that I can take as many samples as I want to East Kingdom Brewer's Collegium in February and have two Baron Master Brewers give me feedback. I look forward to that...

WW, I do wish that the Maple you had made had been a 5 gallon batch so that you could see how it would do in the contest here. That was pretty good stuff and it would be fun to see how the IMA score compares with the IKBG? score. I feel bad (though not terribly bad) for having kept the second bottle at the tasting. BTW, it was good too... ::) ::) ::)

Good luck to everyone that entered! I look forward to hearing results...
Pewter

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Pewter,

It was a 6 gallon batch. As soon as I pick up some more Fermaid K I'll be starting yet another 6 gallon Honey Maple, even though the 6.5 I have is still fermenting. When it's done it goes quick, which is why I want to move up to a 27 gallon fermenter ASAP.

Wrathwilde

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Go to 27 gallons ASAP!

As soon as you do, I will drive over and snag some of that Maple Honey Acerglyn right up. It was delicious.

I may not have a great deal of experience, but the Wanton Cherry has a good chance in my opinion. The cherry flavor comes through strong and the Wildflower stays on the tongue nicely. Good luck.

Angus

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
Hi all,

Decided to enter a Cyser, aged about 1 year... It's my first competition entry, I'm really curious to see how this does!

Steve

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
Wrathwilde said:
When it's done it goes quick, which is why I want to move up to a 27 gallon fermenter ASAP.

Wrathwilde

Nice! Are you looking at getting one of the conical fermentors?

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Wrathwilde said:
Pewter,

It was a 6 gallon batch. As soon as I pick up some more Fermaid K I'll be starting yet another 6 gallon Honey Maple, even though the 6.5 I have is still fermenting. When it's done it goes quick, which is why I want to move up to a 27 gallon fermenter ASAP.

Wrathwilde

WW,

I will be driving to Dubuque for spillage parties when you get to that point! Rumor has it that 27 gallon conicals have A LOT more spillage than standard 6 gallon carboys...

With a grin,
Pewter

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
SteveT said:
Interesting -- this looks like it's designed for storage, not fermenting? It claims it can be carried by 2 people, full, wouldn't the weight be > 200 lbs.?
Check this out: http://www.leeners.com/ferment.html

More like 250 lbs. I could carry it myself though. Last I checked I could bench 400 lbs and leg press over 1000 lbs. I'm familiar with leeners site but notice their 26 gallon tank is $340, this 28 gallon is $190.

Wrathwilde

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Leg press over 1000 lbs? Wonder what would happen if we had that pony tail cut off?

Perhaps I will send Delilah over to find out... ;)

Angus

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Actually to hear my mom tell it Samson and Delilah was my favorite childhood story. And yes I've always preferred long hair. As a 13 year old freshman in High School I broke the school dead lift record of 660 lbs , could squat over 800 lbs (that's a scary thing to do with that much weight) . I could also leg press the full stack of 1200 lbs on the machine. As a freshman I could out lift everybody on the Senior Football team in all categories except the Bench Press. I could only bench 220 lbs at the time.

At 13 years old I was 5'10" and 210 lbs

Now at 36 I'm 1/2 an inch shy of 6' and weigh a few pounds more. ::)

Wrathwilde

B

beesknees

new to this site and the world of mead
am operating a vineyar and adding bess would love to processes mead with the wine... but hwat are the other beverages
posting here?
~d

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns