• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

FREE OAK SAMPLES CHECK IT OUT

Barrel Char Wood Products

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
Thanks! Submitted my request as well, these are for barrels, but should be able to cut off chunks for carboys.

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
I submitted my request as well.
has anyone gotten a responce? (not I)

hellbringer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 11, 2004
yeah i am begining to think nothing is going to show. I already ordered some oak cubes anyways. Once i find out how i like it in my mead i plan to order a barrel, but if i never even get a reply from these guys saying sorry deals over w/e, then i will be finding somewhere else to order one.

hellbringer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 11, 2004
i would bet a phone call would prob turn better results. But its not that important to me anymore. Those still lookin for some oak might try this route thow. just a thought.

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
I know this is an old post BUT ..... I requested a sample online on Tuesday, May 23, and had a box with TWO pieces of Medium Toast American Oak Spirals on my porch on Friday, May 26 ! Can't beat that ! ;D

So, I guess if you haven't received your requests earlier, you may want to try again, as the problems they may have had in the past seem to have been resolved ....

GrantLee63

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
Sent a request yesterday (6/5/06) and had a confirmation e-mail the same day that I should receive the samples in a couple days. So resend your request if you have not...

meadmonster

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2005
Sent my request, got the confimation E-mail that day and received the oak in two days. not a bad deal. ;D

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
I got mine in the mail yesterday. 2x8inch spirals medium toast American Oak. According to the label good for a 3 gallon batch per stick and flavors should be good after 6 weeks, or according to taste.

Nice and speedy service for a free sample...

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
Ditto - mine arrived yesterday as well...

Not cheap, though.

Muirghein Tarot

NewBee
Registered Member
May 28, 2006
Mine was in the mail box when I just got home and yea from the price list they are'nt cheap! Of course all these sample they sent out probably don't equal one of those 38,000 dollar pallets and if they make two of those sales from one of the larger wineries they have made their money back. If they do as good as they claim I may buy the 45 dollar 6 pack but will have to see. Now tapping chin which mead to put the oak in?
Tarot.

Muirghein Tarot

NewBee
Registered Member
May 28, 2006
Small word of warning about these. Don't break off a piece and use in a one gallon carboy. Although it will oak a one gallon just fine, it will swell to the point it will not come back out of the carboy! I learned this the hard way when I just racked the batch I was oaking off it's lees, and then couldn't get the oak out. :-[

Should have thought about the fact that wood swells when it gets wet.
Tarot.

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
Good point! Although, it should shrink once it's dried... hopefully you don't need the 1 gallon carboy for a while.

I dropped 1/3 of a spiral each of the French and American oak in a 3 gallon Cyser I have aging, after 4 weeks it has infused very nicely. I believe they recommend 6 weeks for full extraction of oak... so far, seems to be very high quality oak.

Steve

Blæinger

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 14, 2007
Is this offer still valid?

I clicked on the links and one of them takes me to a "Sample" page, but I have no idea how to request one...

Lugh

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2005
I've requested twice and never received one. I don't know if they don't send one to non-businesses, or if the offer is no longer valid.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns