• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

New Poll: How often should GM have a new podcast?

Barrel Char Wood Products

How often should GM have a new podcast?

• Weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Every other week

• Monthly

• Podcast? Whats that?

• I don't download Podcasts

• Total voters

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
OK folks, I've dumped my remaining cash into the podcast setup, and am busily listening to top podcasts, brewing podcasts and reading up on creating them so I can do this. First recording will be this coming Monday at Smokehouse Winery in western Virginia, where I'll be visiting with Julia Herz from Redstone.

The next one will be from the International Meadfest. I intend to do some interviews, tape the seminars, and tape the awards ceremonies, as well as do a lot of 'man on the street' stuff while I wander around.

So, once we get into 'normal' space after the Fest, how often would you like to have a 'cast? Will you even listen?

Vicky - puzzling out the arcane science of audio levels with mixers

Greenblood

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2004
As often as is possible. If you can get content weekly, that would be fantastic, but monthly certainly sounds more realistic when just starting out.

Greenblood

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I really think that you should have a few (at least three or four) shows queued up and ready to go before you go live with the first one, as well as having point within each show that you can press the stop button if the show runs too long. Also those points will be useful if you run short and need additional material before your show is scheduled to end.

Having a surplus of starting material gives you the luxury of being able to switch around the first couple of times if you feel like you need to, and the material is already formatted and ready to go on the fly.

I also think that pressing it past more than once a month initially with your workload and schedule is really pushing it. Start slow and let it gain momentum gradually. Before you know it you'll be doing it once a week, and the show content will be flowing in from many different sources and people.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
I agree with Oskaar. Time is valuable (particularly if you have a family) and I know from the small amount of music mixing I do that audio work is VERY time consuming. Once a month would be perfect. If some big event did come up and you found the time to slip a second one in (maybe once a year for Meadfest) then I am sure we would all appreciate it.

Angus

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
::taking notes:: Good input, guys. Keep it coming. I hope to get 2-3 shows worth at *least* from the MeadFest, as I intend to buttonhole and interview as many folks as I have time for.

Several of those will be meadery owners, so take the suggestions Angus had in the 'what do you want to hear' post just before this one in the list at the bottom of the main forum page, and tell me what you'd like to learn from the pros. I can ask (they may not *answer*, but I'd like to ask them for you. I think I should be able to get Mike Faul at Rabbits Foot, the Bees Brothers guys, and probably Andre from Intermiel. Oh, and David at Redstone.

Gonna also try to get up with Ken Schramm and Ray Daniels.

Vicky - going to be doing late nights working on rough script questions and a list of who I want to talk to

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
Definitely spread out the meadfest. Make it work for multiple podcasts. And definitely get a couple casts done before going live. Nothing worse that having a new listener get all jazzed up about the Gotmead podcasts the find that there's only 1 and the next one is a month away.

As to the interval, I'd say that every other week is actually ambitious considering the work involved. Strictly from a listener's perspective, weekly is best. From a production perspective, monthly. I think if you have a few queued up before going live, then monthly works.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Oskaar's suggestions sound good -- line 'em up before you start broadcasting!

I'd also suggest seeing what kind of podcast schedule you can get going first before you decide on how often. The logistics have to be worked out first -- who, when and why. :D Then you'll have a better idea of how often.

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
As a listener, I would LOVE one every week! Realistically, I'd have to agree with the rest and say monthly to start with.
One format was to read e-mail from the listeners, including questions for the first few minutes od the show. Also, when you have a guest lined-up you can ask the listeners to submit questions....kinda' like you're doing now :-\

Cheers,
Brewbear

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
As often as makes financial sense, or rather whatever puts you in a better than break even mode... failing that, 1 less than a stress inducing amount over a given period of time. So I'll say monthly, as I have no variable vote button.

Wrathwilde

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Quality beats quantity.

Around major events, there should be heaps of opportunities for great content (limited by time constraints), so maybe a bunch of podcasts after an event, but only one every month (or every 2nd month) the rest of the time.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll get several shows' material out of the Festival. I'm headed to western VA tomorrow to visit Smokehouse Meadery and interview them too. Julia from Redstone Meadery is going with me. I'm going to work on an 'intro' and finish for the show, and get that in the can this week (I hope, around the paying work).

Anthony, if you see this, I'm gonna give you a call, we need to confab on structure and such.

Vicky - getting ready to crash early for the 4 am wake up call to drive to Smokehouse....

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns