• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

all grain methods for braggot

Barrel Char Wood Products

Igor

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 21, 2005
Just as a general question, if I want to make an all grain braggot how would I go about doing this without having to purchase more equiptment and move into all grain brewing. All though I brew my own beer my primary concentration will continue to be with mead. Currently I am reading Ken Schramm's book on meadmaking and he has suggested a simple way of doing this, all other books I have read on beer making do not suggest this. So I was woundering what others thought???
thanks in advance. ;D ;D

seeGarzz

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 4, 2005
I would suggest hooking up with an all grain brewer and splitting a 10 gallon batch of braggot. Trying to piecemeal a temporary all grain brewing system will take some time and will most likely not get you the quality wort you are looking for. Todays malt extracts are pretty darn good and seem like they would be pretty well suited for making a braggot.

seeGarzz

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Hey Igor,

I mash and boil in the same brewpot, without sparging, using a grain bag allows the grain to be removed rather from the pot. Mash efficiency has been between 60% - 65%, so a bit more grain is needed to hit the target gravity.

Before getting a chiller, I used a water bath to cool must / wort. A few bags of ice, water and some rock salt in the bathtub around the bucket.

This - http://hbd.org/recipator/ - has been very helpful in fingering out how much grain / honey is need, and this - http://www.howtobrew.com - is the only guide I use for brewing.

It's the opinion of a growing number of brewers (myself included), No Sparge brewing makes a superior malt beverage. I can understand how sparging makes sense on a large scale, having increase the grain bill by roughly 4:3 would cut into profits. Spending $10.00 more for the added grain needed for a 12 gallon batch of braggot isn't that much.

Happy mazing,

Anthony

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns