• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

V-Vessel <No racking>

Barrel Char Wood Products

Mu

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 1, 2005
Melbourne
Well I was browsing MoreBeer as I do, looking at products I can’t possibly afford, let alone find space for. But I stumbled across this one the V-Vessel

Link: http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16678

Looks like on interesting contraption, but its construction means you don’t have to rack your product. I thought I would post a link to it for others to have a look at it you haven’t found it, does anyone have one of these? If so how do they work overall?

It looks nifty that’s for sure, and it seems it would be helpful when it comes to removing sediment, and bottling. :-\

Mu.

CheshireCat

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
It's nice, but for $110 you'd think that the stand for the thing would be included... :-\

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I just can't get behind a plastic vessel without a stand for $110. I'll use my carboys until I decide on a conical size.

Cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Some interesting things I noticed...

I was looking at the plastic conical fermenters by Williams brewing ( http://www.mivamall.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=store03&Category_Code=FM ) and noticed the 25 gallon model is 140 lbs, and costs $495 plus $108 shipping to where I am in Iowa. Making a grand total of $603. The Stainless Steel 27 gallon Fermenator ( http://www.northernbrewer.com/conical.html ) is only 48 pounds, free shipping when purchased from Brew City Supplies, for a total of $695. I know which I'd rather have and $92 bucks doesn't seem that big a difference for the jump in quality and features (rotating racking arm, able to transfer under pressure using CO2) all at 1/3rd the weight.

hbf.jpg
Williaws Minibrew
F3-27%20scaled%20B&W.JPG
Fermenator

Wrathwilde

HomeBrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2005
I am just not a big fan of plastic fermentation vessels. Even with food grade plastics and diligent cleaning, the vessels will eventually absorb flavors and odors that will affect your brews. I do use the el cheapo plastic fermentation buckets, or empty media component buckets from my job for secondary fruit additions. However, I consider these expendable and replace them every two years or so.

Considering the costs involved with the larger conical fermenters, it would be a MUCH better investment in the long run to go with stainless steel. Those vessels will last a lifetime with proper care.

Peace.

Blur

NewBee
Registered Member
May 13, 2009
St. Paul, MN
I have a V-Vessel now and my first batch is in it.

First impressions:

Hard to oxygenate so do so BEFORE you put your mead down.
I have fears about how easy its going to be to clean.
Didnt come with legs, its supposed to be mounted on the wall.

To fix the legs problem, I took a wooden barstool and modified it to fit
the vessel. Works like a charm.

Noe Palacios

Aristaeus' Apprentice
GotMead Patron
I have V-Vessel for 6 years and I am very pleased with it.

Yes, you don´t have to rack the mead to a secondary. But don´t bottle from the bottom, it is better if you do the siphoning as usual, also I recomend to use a racking cane with savers tips becasue no matter how clear the mead seems to be, there will be a lot of solids at the wall and you don´t want them in your bottles.

Yes, clean it is not easy, you have to pay atention to the supports, in the out side they look as solid plastic bars, but they don´t, there are two holes inside the fermenter where the supports are and they are very difficult to clean and sanitize. I throwed out the brushes, I use pressurized water to do the mechanical cleaning. After you solve the cleaning problem you'll find it very practical.

regards

Noe

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Personally I'm not impressed with the V-Vessel. The price to me is too high for the benefits, and it's plastic.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I'm not going to argue Oskaar, but Blur has already one, I have one, if you already spend the money on it there is only one thing to do: make mead and enjoy it.

regards,

Noe

Yeah, if you've already bought it you should definitely use it. I don't have one so it's not a problem for me.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns