• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I'm such a newbee.

Barrel Char Wood Products

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
I added K metabisulfite to a mel that had been in the fridge for a few days. Fermentation totally stopped in the cold, so I took it out, racked, and added crushed campden tablets. I knew the chances were slim that it would stop fermentation without the accompaniment of K sorbate, but I took the chance anyway. Well, it didn't work, and now there are particules of campden tablets floating on top. Fermentation has slowed a buch though, and it is starting to clear (though that might be the water I added to replaced what I had lost. But shouldn't the alcohol be on top if that were the case?) Anyway, my real question is, will the bits of the campden tablets eventually dissolve, or did I get myself in a precarious situation once again?

[EDIT]: Fermentation has slowed down. Took four timings of bubble through secondary, times ranged from 13 min - 20 min. Still particulates floating on top, but the mead is clearing more. I guess the decreases in time are resultant from the campden?

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
Check it out.

Here it is in the process of clearing. At least I hope in clearing it stratifies like that. The campden has started to fall a little, so now I have like a campden solar system in the top part of the jug. I'm hoping all the campden will all eventually fall, or else I'll have a problem.

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Mouko,

The Campden should dissolve and fall over time, you're not in trouble. :) There are also many simple ways to strain out particles while racking, one being a piece of sanitized nylon stocking secured to the wand of the racking cane.

It looks like the tablets were crushed to crumbs instead of to a powder, though. I don't know how people manage to crush those tough little guys: I have a small stone mortar and pestle, obtained from a lab supply store. Reduces anything to a powder.

Miriam

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
:D Thanks Miriam! I was gonna try straining them out, but I didn't know you could use a stocking. I was thinking cheesecloth, which would've let pieces through. But knowing that they'll eventually dissolve has set me at ease. I was really worried! Also, I knew there was a reason I should've gotten a mortar and pestle. Other than to say I have one. ::)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns