Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
  1. Default I'm such a newbee.

I added K metabisulfite to a mel that had been in the fridge for a few days. Fermentation totally stopped in the cold, so I took it out, racked, and added crushed campden tablets. I knew the chances were slim that it would stop fermentation without the accompaniment of K sorbate, but I took the chance anyway. Well, it didn't work, and now there are particules of campden tablets floating on top. Fermentation has slowed a buch though, and it is starting to clear (though that might be the water I added to replaced what I had lost. But shouldn't the alcohol be on top if that were the case?) Anyway, my real question is, will the bits of the campden tablets eventually dissolve, or did I get myself in a precarious situation once again?

[EDIT]: Fermentation has slowed down. Took four timings of bubble through secondary, times ranged from 13 min - 20 min. Still particulates floating on top, but the mead is clearing more. I guess the decreases in time are resultant from the campden?

2. Default Re: I'm such a newbee.

Check it out.

Here it is in the process of clearing. At least I hope in clearing it stratifies like that. The campden has started to fall a little, so now I have like a campden solar system in the top part of the jug. I'm hoping all the campden will all eventually fall, or else I'll have a problem.

Default Re: I'm such a newbee.

Mouko,

The Campden should dissolve and fall over time, you're not in trouble. There are also many simple ways to strain out particles while racking, one being a piece of sanitized nylon stocking secured to the wand of the racking cane.

It looks like the tablets were crushed to crumbs instead of to a powder, though. I don't know how people manage to crush those tough little guys: I have a small stone mortar and pestle, obtained from a lab supply store. Reduces anything to a powder.

Miriam
    Miriam the Mead Bubeh
    Israeli Kitchen www.mimi54.wordpress.com

4. Default Re: I'm such a newbee.

Thanks Miriam! I was gonna try straining them out, but I didn't know you could use a stocking. I was thinking cheesecloth, which would've let pieces through. But knowing that they'll eventually dissolve has set me at ease. I was really worried! Also, I knew there was a reason I should've gotten a mortar and pestle. Other than to say I have one.