• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Can I save this cyser?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Charlene

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 28, 2005
I have a gallon of cyser fermented with RC-212 yeast. This morning, I noticed there was a small amount of white gunk floating on the surface (around the edges) with a couple of strings reaching down into the cyser.

Uh-oh, infection, I thought. I quickly dissolved 1/8 tsp pot meta in some water, added it to the cyser, and stirred.

Should I add more? Will I be able in the future to make this cyser sparkling? It's already fermented dry to a SG of 0.998, and in fact I was planning on bottling it this week (I've already bottled the other two gallons).

My recipe, roughly:
just under 1 gallon sweet apple cider
700 grams honey
RC-212 yeast
1/4 tsp pectic enzyme (added during fermentation)
and now 1/8 tsp pot meta in 2 tbsp boiled water

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
I think your instincts about adding the k-meta are correct, however, I would have tried to rack the cyser below the white stuff into another container. Then hit it with k-meta.

You may want to let it rest for a couple of weeks and see if the white stuff clears.

I would not bottle it until you know how this will work out...

Question for you, describe your racking procedure?

Steve

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Auto-syphons are actually less risky than some other types of systems, since, for instance, you aren't introducing any mouth bacteria as you potentially could by sucking on a hose to get things started. The next big suspect would be your sanitation techniques. It can't be over-stated how important it is to have a good system down. Can you describe your exact method?

-David

Charlene

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 28, 2005
I bleach everything for 20 minutes, then rinse.

I think the problem may have been with the cider itself being a little old. The white stuff has disappeared and it looks fine now.

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
Charlene said:
I bleach everything for 20 minutes, then rinse.

I think the problem may have been with the cider itself being a little old. The white stuff has disappeared and it looks fine now.

David nailed why I ask -- I've seen infections when using the mouth is used to start the suction. I have an auto siphon and love it... another technique, use water in the racking tubing to start the flow. Just FYI -- You may want to consider using idophor or k-meta as a santizing agent, TCA in corks has been linked to clorine usage.

Steve

Charlene

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 28, 2005
I've heard that pot meta is very inadequate for sanitizing equipment for meadmaking. Is that true? If not, how long does equipment have to be soaked to be considered sanitized? Or is it a contact thing where just spraying and waiting for the SO2 (or SO3) gas to form should be adequate?

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
Charlene said:
I've heard that pot meta is very inadequate for sanitizing equipment for meadmaking. Is that true? If not, how long does equipment have to be soaked to be considered sanitized? Or is it a contact thing where just spraying and waiting for the SO2 (or SO3) gas to form should be adequate?

Actually, that is not true... k-meta has it's place.
A quick search turned up the following:
http://www.grapestompers.com/sanitation.asp

Personally, i like iodophor, but I use k-meta for certain santizing situations.
I've gotten away from using bleach... I used to use that when I made beer.

Steve

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Here's a link to a recent discussion here that was about various sanitation chemicals. It's interesting how many different views there are on this.

-David

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns