• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What to Expect- Cyser/Mead/Cider First Timer NEWBIE questions

Barrel Char Wood Products

xcjetta

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 16, 2006
Yesterday my plan for cider morphed into Cyser by the time I left work. I have some newbie questions if anyone wants to help?

Here's what I made:
1 1/2 Gallons Pasteurized Farm Cider
1/2 Gallon Pasteurized Cider and Cherry Juice Blend
2.5 Pounds of Honey in 2 liters of water
OG 1066

I pitched champagne yeast, because that's all that I'd heard of for cider or mead. Now I'm concerned that it might become too dry.

What should I do in that case?

At some point could I add stabilizer and some apple juice concentrate to sweeten it up?

TIA

jaysbrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2004
www.jaysbrewing.com
xcjetta,

Welcome to the Gotmead forums!!

You have the right idea. If it ferments out too dry for you, the mead can be stabilized and then sweetened back up a bit. Once it is stabilized, you can sweeten with anything: juice, honey, sugar, whatever.

Here's another trick you might want to try. No need to stabilze it if you use Lactose to re-sweeten. Lactose is unfermentable by yeast.

Cheers,
Jay

xcjetta

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 16, 2006
Thanks for the advice. Could I avoid having to sweeten by stoppping fermentation at around 75% AA?

jaysbrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2004
www.jaysbrewing.com
Absolutely. Stick it in the fridge and it will stop - wait a week or so to be sure. Then rack and stabilize and the mead should hold the sweetness.

Keep a close eye on it though and don't rush to bottle it. Some Champagne strains are rather amazing at fermenting through tough conditions. If you want to try this one again, I'd recommend Lalvin D47 or 71B - or even RC212. You might like the flavor better and any of those would be easier to stop an active fermentation than the Champagne.

Cheers,
Jay

xcjetta

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 16, 2006
Thanks Jay,

The refrigerate tip is a good one.

I almost pitched a huge cake of chico ale yeast. It should be at 75% around 1016 so at that point I'll cool it down and rack. Then I'll add the perservative and monitor. I dont want bottle bombs

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns