• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How do you get started making mead?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Safa

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 13, 2014
Anyone else unable to access the NewBee guide? I just get redirected to the forum home page.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Alas....main page is still down. Am not sure is anyone has the newbee guide...may have to wait till it is back up in a few weeks

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

moridin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
I got started mainly out of intrigue and the wonder of this mystical beverage. Really took a hold of me when I started watching history channel's Viking program.
Now that I've made mead and tried various commercial meads, I can say that it is truly magical.

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

gw72487

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2014
Is this link still working for everyone else? I have had some issues accessing the newbee guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esys

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 16, 2013
New Jersey
sites.google.com
As silly as it sounds, when playing Skyrim, mead was always referenced. I had to ask myself, "What exactly is this?" So.. I looked it up, and thought to myself, "Well, this doesn't sound so hard.."

And so my obsession began...

Aragorn

NewBee
Registered Member
May 4, 2014
East NC
I can not access it on my iPhone. It works fine on my computer with chrome

gw72487

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2014
Yup i will try to access it on another comp. thanks!

Jmondro

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2014
Northville Michigan
While visiting my daughter this summer in Boulder, as a change of pace to visiting all the breweries we took a tour of Redstone Meadery and was impressed. Upon returning home to Michigan visited Schramm's and B Nectar in Ferndale and was hooked.

Joe

Dragonheart

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 15, 2014
Bay City, MI
Hey all, I am new here and have been reading and lurking for a little bit now. I havent actually started to make any mead yet. Ive been thinking about it for about a year now and reading up on it. My question though is, I want to use glass carboy jugs, but how difficult is it to put other indigents into them? They have such a narrow opening it seems like it would be a pain to put any sort of fruit or anything else into them and get them out. I seen some people say use a plastic carboy for fermentation then switch it over to the glass and others say not to. Just looking for some suggests. I want to start out with the Joe's Ancient orange in a 1 gallon glass jug which I can get around here for about 4 bucks, but getting the orange into and out, seems like it would be a pain.

Also if this has been answered elsewhere, sorry. Tried to do a search with "Glass vs plastic" and came up with like 10 pages of results including anything with those words. Thanks

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
JAOM is a great way to get syatyrd with a low investment of both time and money. A glass carboy would work okay for that, but i would suggest you also get a hydrometer. For future batches, i suggest pails and then racking to glass carboys for clarifying and aging, but thats future batches. Start slow, and add equipment as you become more experienced.

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

Dragonheart

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 15, 2014
Bay City, MI
Oh yeah im for sure getting a hydrometer. Most of the glass carboys ive seen, I look at and just think "how am I going to get the oranges out after?"

Jim H

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2013
NYC
Oh yeah im for sure getting a hydrometer. Most of the glass carboys ive seen, I look at and just think "how am I going to get the oranges out after?"

Cut 'em up, put them in a blender. Yes, there's pulp, but they come out of the carboy with a rinse... and there's lots of surface for the yeast to feed on.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Hey all, I am new here and have been reading and lurking for a little bit now. I havent actually started to make any mead yet. Ive been thinking about it for about a year now and reading up on it. My question though is, I want to use glass carboy jugs, but how difficult is it to put other indigents into them? They have such a narrow opening it seems like it would be a pain to put any sort of fruit or anything else into them and get them out. I seen some people say use a plastic carboy for fermentation then switch it over to the glass and others say not to. Just looking for some suggests. I want to start out with the Joe's Ancient orange in a 1 gallon glass jug which I can get around here for about 4 bucks, but getting the orange into and out, seems like it would be a pain.

Also if this has been answered elsewhere, sorry. Tried to do a search with "Glass vs plastic" and came up with like 10 pages of results including anything with those words. Thanks

Welcome Dragonheart!

Dude. What are you waiting for? Read the Joe's Ancient Orange Mead and get cracking! You would have had an aged JAOM by now! No hydrometer needed.

Honey, cinnamon, one clove, a few raisins, an orange, water and Fleishmans yeast. Get a gallon of Gallo Sangria or Yago or whatever, drink it with your friends and wake up to a bubbling brew!

After the 90 to 100 days it takes to drop, the fruit in the jug is so soft and saturated it pops out no problem.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.
U g

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns