• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Firefox vs. Internet Explorer

Barrel Char Wood Products

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
I am now seeing the advertisements at the tops of the GM pages for firefox. It seems Firefox is gaining a lot of ground every where on the web. So I was wondering how many are using it. I have been using it for more than a year now and love Firefox. I barely know how to operate IE anymore. Tabbed browsing is the greatest. There is a ton of extensions for it. I also got the Stumble Upon tool bar through Firefox. It is a great way to waste hours of your life surfing. But I find some really cool stuff with it.
Here are some links for some amazing artists I found using Stumble Upon.
http://stressbuster1.net/mural/
http://gprime.net/images/sidewalkchalkguy/

So how many Firefox fans here?

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
I (heart) Firefox :) I only ever use IE now if there's a website I need to go to that doesnt support FF (and that doesnt happen often).

Sander

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 30, 2005
I use Firefox too. It works great for me. Much better than IE.
I use Thunderbird for my email.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
I use Safari, being on OS X... but the creator of firefox was tapped by Apple to develop Safari, so its related, and Safari's so much nicer than IE - like a Rolls Royce is so much nicer than anything else I've ever ridden in. I don't use IE ever. If there happens to be a web site thats not compatible with Safari... then they don't get my business. I think I've only ever run across one.

Wrathwilde

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
I'm also on OSX, but I use firefix, safari, opera, camino, omniweb, and occaisionally icab. All depends on my mood! On my win2k box at work I use firefox and opera where possible, not that I do any of this from there!

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
I use OSX and firefox! Just as a point of interest - or not - Internet Exploder...hmmm I mean Explorer uses Active X and so do many of the pop-ups and spywares. By not using IE you are protecting your machine :-\

Cheers,
Brewbear

Greenblood

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2004
Firefly all the way! We have installed firefox on all wrokstations where I work, and altered our internet usage policy. Using IE is a violation of our usage policy now. >:D

IE is not work scrap IMNSHO!

Cheers!

John

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I use Firefox all the way. It rocks!

It's unbelievable to me that there are still some companies with a web presence that do not accomodate Firefox for SSL sessions. How screwed up is that?

Only one thing to do .. . Road Trip!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Greenblood

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2004
Brewbear said:
I use OSX and firefox! Just as a point of interest - or not - Internet Exploder...hmmm I mean Explorer uses Active X and so do many of the pop-ups and spywares. By not using IE you are protecting your machine :-\

Absolutely. Firefox does not have anywhere near the security problems that IE has. I have installed Firefox on all of my friends PCs. It is preventative maintenance as far as I am concerned. I get a lot less calls nowadays.

Cheers!

John

Thurisaz

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 15, 2006
This posting got composed using exactly 0 % Microsoft. Not only don't I touch the M$ IE unless I abso-****ing-lutely have to, I have the audacity to run my machines on Linux whenever possible. I do have M$ installed (triple boot... SuSE 9.2, Lose XP, Lose 98), but only use it for those few applications that aren't available in a comparable form for linux. This means mostly games of course >:D

(Compare that to my workplace... I earn my bucks in the Enterprise Helpdesk of an international bank where Unix/Linux is only used on some exotic database servers. Aaaah, the horrors...)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns