• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Does anyone have experience with green tea?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Alker

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 2, 2009
I've got some mint flavored green tea that I thought would make an interesting metheglin. Has anyone done this? I'm wondering how much I should use to yield a noticeable taste without it being overpowering. I don't have a recipe yet, but I'm thinking a pretty standard 5 gallon batch..15-18 pounds of honey, spring water to full, yeast energizer/nutrient, and some volume of brewed tea. Any input guys?

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
You should be able to find a fair bit through the search function, there have been a couple big threads about this recently.

I will add though that I have a 6 gal batch of green tea mead aging right now, and I can offer some advice:

Do not heat the tea. I steeped the bags in boiling water, and the results are very bitter. I thought I had a good recipe for "drink young" mead, but because I heated the tea it's going to have to age for quite a while, and may never cease to be bitter.

Cold steeping will prevent that bitterness from occuring. I would just put the tea bags directly into the primary fermentation, or if you want to keep an eye on the taste more, steep them in the secondary so you can take taste tests.

Can't say for sure how many bags, because mint is a strong flavour and I don't know what your tea is like, but if you want to be cautious I would start with 4 or 5 cold steeping in your must/mead for a week, see how that tastes and go from there.

TXBeowulf

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2009
FYI, boiling any aerial plant parts is a surefire way of extracting any bitter compounds in the plant, which is the reason that hops are boiled in beer. Hot steeping cuts down on bitterness because not as many bitter compounds are released. Cold steeping virtually eliminates bitterness, but extends the time needed to extract flavors a lot.

Squeezing boiled or hot steeped plant matter also extracts more bitter components

This applies to any leaves, stems, or flowers.

Because they tend to be woodier, roots almost always have to be boiled to extract anything from them.

An alternative is to make a tincture using a little neutral grain spirits such as a good quality tasteless vodka. Pour the vodka over the fresh bruised or dried plant material, cap, and leave in a cool dark place. Shake it every day. After a week, strain off the tincture and check the strength. If it is strong enough, cap it until ready to use. If not, pour it over more (unused) herb and return to storage, shaking every day. Repeat until the tincture is as strong as you like it.

A tincture should probably be added to secondary, and should be used very carefully, as the flavors can get very concentrated.

Edit:

Since alcohol is so good at getting flavors out of plant matter, you might try just putting the stuff in a hopping bag and dunking it in the secondary. The biggest problem I can see with this is that the risk of contamination is higher...

Last edited:

jaxn slim

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 28, 2009
Nashville
I love the idea of a tincture with vodka. They mentioned that in The Compleat Meadmaker IIRC.

I have been using vodka to sanitize various peppers that I add to beers and meads, but I haven't yet added the actual vodka. I've just been making shots with it. :eek:

Any suggestions on volume of vodka for the tincture method?

anthonycapps

NewBee
Registered Member
May 27, 2019
Yogi green tea is one of my favorite drink. Every day I drink Yogi green tea with my breakfast. It contains Lemongrass which gives the tea a citrus flavor. I love the taste. Also, I have several types of green tea. Read this article if you like to view some review of green tea http://bestproducts-4u.com/yogi-tea-review

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Yogi green tea is one of my favorite drink. Every day I drink Yogi green tea with my breakfast. It contains Lemongrass which gives the tea a citrus flavor. I love the taste. Also, I have several types of green tea. Read this article if you like to view some review of green tea http://bestproducts-4u.com/yogi-tea-review

Dude this last post from this was 9 years ago. None of those people have been around for years.

Please. If you want to talk about something. Start a new thread rather than resurrect dead threads for the ancient past ;) Welcome to the community friend.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns