• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Chest Frezer

Barrel Char Wood Products

K5MOW

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2011
Friendswood TX
Hi all
I would like to know what is the smallest chest freezer that you all have used that will hold at lest one 6 gallon carboy with the airlock on . I would like to get the smallest one I can get that would hold one 6 gallon carboy.

Thanks

Roger

Brego Brew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2011
It is so funny you should ask, I spent over a week looking for the answer to this. I'm currently using a combination of a chest freezer and a Johnson Controls temperature controller (from Northern Brewer) and I have been able to control the temperature of my fermentations down to 1/2 a degree. It' awesome... The last bit of fermentation of 6 gallons of basswood traditional is taking place in it right now.

Here is the problem with finding a chest freezer, they're all too tall and way to narrow. Period.
After searching for a week I finally gave up, none of them were wide enough for my wide wine kit fermenting bucket or even a 6 gallon carboy. And the ones that happened to be wide enough, had too large a compressor hump, or "step". Then, in a last ditch attempt, I took a reluctant ride over to walmart. Carrying a measuring tape and a box cutter, and without knowing if they would even sell an item that large, I went searching through the home ec. department and alas, there it lay. A chest freezer with the perfect dimensions for both fermenters of all kinds and carboys of all sizes alike. It was humblingly beautiful, weeks of searching and there it was.

Unfortunately I'm typing this with
An Ipod and can't post my pictures untill the a.m. I will post up the pics and the model in the morning, it is truly a godsend amomg all chest freezers.

K5MOW

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2011
Friendswood TX
It is so funny you should ask, I spent over a week looking for the answer to this. I'm currently using a combination of a chest freezer and a Johnson Controls temperature controller (from Northern Brewer) and I have been able to control the temperature of my fermentations down to 1/2 a degree. It' awesome... The last bit of fermentation of 6 gallons of basswood traditional is taking place in it right now.

Here is the problem with finding a chest freezer, they're all too tall and way to narrow. Period.
After searching for a week I finally gave up, none of them were wide enough for my wide wine kit fermenting bucket or even a 6 gallon carboy. And the ones that happened to be wide enough, had too large a compressor hump, or "step". Then, in a last ditch attempt, I took a reluctant ride over to walmart. Carrying a measuring tape and a box cutter, and without knowing if they would even sell an item that large, I went searching through the home ec. department and alas, there it lay. A chest freezer with the perfect dimensions for both fermenters of all kinds and carboys of all sizes alike. It was humblingly beautiful, weeks of searching and there it was.

Unfortunately I'm typing this with
An Ipod and can't post my pictures untill the a.m. I will post up the pics and the model in the morning, it is truly a godsend amomg all chest freezers.

Ok cool. Can you also let me know of the brand and model of this chest freezer and how much did you pay for it. I want one!!!!!!!!!

Roger

Fisher kel Tath

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 7, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
See, getting over the compressor hump is an easy fix if you're willing to build a collar like you would in a kegerator. Then just buy a cheap shelving unit and build it so the shelves sit level ontop the compressor hump and is supported on the otherside by a bit of lumber. Also advantage is you can keep a thing of damp-rid in that space to take care of any moisture inside the freezer.

Brego Brew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2011
See, getting over the compressor hump is an easy fix if you're willing to build a collar like you would in a kegerator. Then just buy a cheap shelving unit and build it so the shelves sit level ontop the compressor hump and is supported on the otherside by a bit of lumber. Also advantage is you can keep a thing of damp-rid in that space to take care of any moisture inside the freezer.

That doesn't work, I've already tried it and you can't equal out the heights without making the entire freezer to short, and now nothing will fit in width wise, or height wise.

I'm still coming with the Model #! I'm busy, can't post up the pictures just yet, will be able to around noon, BRB!

Jonas

K5MOW

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2011
Friendswood TX
That doesn't work, I've already tried it and you can't equal out the heights without making the entire freezer to short, and now nothing will fit in width wise, or height wise.

I'm still coming with the Model #! I'm busy, can't post up the pictures just yet, will be able to around noon, BRB!

Jonas

Great thanks!!!!!!

Roger

Brego Brew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2011
I'm working on a Write-up for chest freezers but I have to get back to my second job, it will be up in the morning.

Sorry for the delay.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns