• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Customer Service….Above and Beyond

Barrel Char Wood Products

afdoty

NewBee
Staff member
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2009
Monroe, CT
To often people only talk about the poor service they get. We rarely talk about the excellent service (I remember reading somewhere that a person who experiences bad service will tell 10 other people. The same person who experiences good service will tell only 2). So I figured I’d share this experience.

I needed a gallon of Buck Wheat Honey. I wanted Eastern Buckwheat for that intense "barn yard" aroma and the powerful flavors. The places where I've ordered it before were out and I needed to get some... had to get some... wanted some.........it gets obsessive sometimes.

Anyway, I found a place in Ohio, called eBeehoney.com and ordered a gallon of Buckwheat honey and 2 gallons of other honey.

When I received the package on the 23rd, it had been damaged. The other two gallons of other honey were fine, but the Buckwheat had been crushed. Basically, I received a squashed 1 gallon plastic bottle and a bag of Buckwheat honey…thank God it was in a plastic bag!

I wrote an email to eBeehoney explaining what had happened. I had fully expected the reply would be in the form of "oh well, we shipped it... you need to contact UPS".

Not so! Within a half hour of sending the email, I got a response from Glen at eBeehoney(this was 6:30 pm last Thrusday). He explained that the shipment had been packaged correctly; surmised it had been damage caused by UPS and he’d ship out another gallon as a replacement.

there was no need for explanation, no excused, no shifting of blame… I wasn’t a happy customer and this guy was going to make it right.

An hour after that I had an email with a tracking. The next morning I was notified the package had been sent and today I received a replacement gallon of Raw Buckwheat Honey!

To me, customer service isn’t how someone acts when things are going good…. it’s how they respond when things aren’t going good. This simple act has made a customer of me to this place.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
That's a good story, Al. I've had Midwest make something good twice so far, and I mean immediately--and I got to keep the wrong item too. Sweet

Of course, I have absolutely no use a'tall for 2 ozs of galena hops, but I just sent them to my son.

:)

Was any of the original shipment of honey usable?

(obsessed? You? Noooooooo)

(passion is a good thing, by the way)

socpsy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 23, 2009
NW Arkansas
www.socpsy.com
I've never ordered from them, but I bookmarked them when I was compiling potential honey sources. Now, I'm more likely to buy from them.
thumbs.gif

That eastern buckwheat is pretty intense. I hope you left the honey in the plastic bag. Your house could have smelled more like a barn for a while if you opened the bag!
rolling2.gif

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I was afraid to use it. The bag had leaked and I was worried about contamination...the tapped lid was soaking in the honey. It was heartbreaking to throw it away....

It's hard to imagine ANYTHING contaminating buckwheat honey, because that stuff's so aggressive I can see it fighting off all comers.

But I know what you mean. :)

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I've had Midwest make something good twice so far, and I mean immediately--and I got to keep the wrong item too. Sweet

Thanks for sharing that experience Al. It really is good to reward folks that deliver good service - too little of it seen these days. I've ordered some goldenrod honey from them and it was delivered without problem (good honey too). :)

I can also say I've had Midwest supplies fix a problem for me. I ordered a wine kit and a couple of the packages of additives had leaked. They sent me replacement packages of everything that was damaged immediately with only one phone call. They also do a great job communicating the status of orders placed with them. I use them often.

Vino

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 30, 2008
Birmingham, Alabama
I can also say I've had Midwest supplies fix a problem for me. I ordered a wine kit and a couple of the packages of additives had leaked. They sent me replacement packages of everything that was damaged immediately with only one phone call. They also do a great job communicating the status of orders placed with them. I use them often.

I place one or more orders a month with Midwest Supply, and as Medsen stated they have always been quick to remedy any problems. Last year my wife bought me a new Dual Tap Draft System, one of the regulators wouldn't hold a steady pressure. I called them and they were out of stock, they offered me a different system, to refund my money, or to ship a new regulator when available...I elected to wait. Four weeks later I received a complete new system (dual) and they didn't ask for the old one back. Because of their great customer service, Midwest gets about 90% of my business.

Thanks for the information on eBeeHoney, I have not used them before but will add them to my list of Trusted suppliers.

afdoty

NewBee
Staff member
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2009
Monroe, CT
I'd rather buy from someone based on good experiances rather than not buy from someone based on bad experinaces. To often we only hear about the bad........in refecting, I can say that the good outways the bad by a lot. It's funny how hard I have to think to remember the good.....???

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I work for my family's music retail company, and it really sucks when someone latches onto the bad. Just had an email from an angry customer today (he spammed all of head office because the manager of that store is out until the 30th or something), and I couldn't help thinking that no matter how good of a company we are, there will always be mistakes that happen, and sometimes they'll be bad enough that the people involved hate us forever and will never see the other 99.99% of the time where we go above and beyond for the customer. That's just part of doing anything I guess, so I try not to take it personally.

It's great to hear the good comments though. I still hang onto a pile of customer satisfaction forms I got when I was the rentals manager (we mail them out at random to customers) where the customers expressed how happy they were.

I agree totally about buying from places that do good rather than just buying from someone other than the company that messed up!

BeeFolks

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 9, 2006
www.beefolks.com
Bee Folks also easy to work with

I know I'm late jumping in here, but we insure everything we ship. The few times that something breaks during shipment, we ship a replacement, and ask the customer to sign and date a pre-filled form so we can deal with insurance. (We use a third-party insurance system, and they require the customer's signature on a letter describing the damage.)

Every now and then we are notified that we shipped an incorrect item, or an order is missing an item, so we ship replacements with no hassle.

Lori Titus
The Bee Folks

dr9

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 12, 2009
athens ga
I made my first order to Midwest last night and still haven't got a tracking number. I will forgive them since they are in MN and battling climate change :p right now but if I don't have a tracking number by next week, I'm writing a letter to my senator.

socpsy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 23, 2009
NW Arkansas
www.socpsy.com
I made my first order to Midwest last night and still haven't got a tracking number. I will forgive them since they are in MN and battling climate change :p right now but if I don't have a tracking number by next week, I'm writing a letter to my senator.

Sometimes their tracking number emails show up a day or so after placing the order.

dr9

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 12, 2009
athens ga
Everything showed up when it was supposed to. Although they forgot to grind my grains for me, they did send everything in a brand new shiny stainless steel stock pot! New customer promotion?

I'm a Midwest Brewing Supplies Customer now.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns