• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Royal Wedding Mead?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
With the Royal Wedding coming up soon (April 29, 2011 iirc) I was wondering if anybody on the other side of the pond is planning to start a commemorative recipe? Or is everyone apathetic about the Royal Family at this point?

I've been starting to think about recipe ideas, (and no, Naughty Rosie's Metheglyn simply won't do) and I'm wondering what would be good for British Royalty. Any suggestions?

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Well, seeing as they're technically my royalty too I could make one... hmmm, it would have to be something redundant that serves no real purpose other than ceremony... ;)

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
Well you could use honey extract, there are several out on the market. Very expensive and adds no fermentables at all. Add to this some blue berries to remind us all that they are after all the true blue bloods.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Well you could use honey extract, there are several out on the market. Very expensive and adds no fermentables at all. Add to this some blue berries to remind us all that they are after all the true blue bloods.

;D Oh man, that's just PERFECT!

P.s. Sorry if anyone's a fan of the royalty, I don't mean to be offensive - they're just horribly redundant for my country and basically just create 14 jobs in government that cost a lot of money and accomplish extremely little!

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
With the Royal Wedding coming up soon (April 29, 2011 iirc) I was wondering if anybody on the other side of the pond is planning to start a commemorative recipe? Or is everyone apathetic about the Royal Family at this point?

I've been starting to think about recipe ideas, (and no, Naughty Rosie's Metheglyn simply won't do) and I'm wondering what would be good for British Royalty. Any suggestions?
Nope! absolutely not. The only good thing about the expensive parasites getting married, is that the grovelling b******s in government have granted an extra public holiday on the Friday.

There's bound to be plenty of snivelling creeps doing something to celebrate it, plus the various commercial elements will be doing the t-shirt/cup/poster/stamps etc.

Personally I wouldn't p155 on them if they were on fire, but that's just my POV !

regards

fatbloke

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Seriously, we have a high paid official in each province and another one in the federal gov whose entire job is to pretend to sign off on laws/actions in the name of the queen. Of course, if they refuse to sign something they're fired...

Totally useless. I have no problem with being a member of the commonwealth, I'm sure it'll work out in our favour when the US ends up invading us (;)), but I could do without the goofy spending!

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Seriously, we have a high paid official in each province and another one in the federal gov whose entire job is to pretend to sign off on laws/actions in the name of the queen. Of course, if they refuse to sign something they're fired...

I had no idea that was still part of the process! I thought you gave up the "royals' consent" at the end of the Dominion period. There's more to that Commonwealth (bureaucracy, mind you, not 'value') than I realized.

chams

Worker Bee
Registered Member
I would think one would have to use honey from Charlie's own organic farm, Duchy Originals.
Pair that with some of his biscuits or organic fruit and veggies...

That would make a fine gift for the royals, and quite a special product the peasants could purchase to celebrate their betters nuptials. ;D

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I had no idea that was still part of the process! I thought you gave up the "royals' consent" at the end of the Dominion period. There's more to that Commonwealth (bureaucracy, mind you, not 'value') than I realized.

Yeah, I can't remember the story exactly from my school days, but what I remember is that at some point after we became independant one of our Governor Generals (feds) refused to sign a bill that was being passed (originally they actually had authority) so we changed the roll to make it so that they don't have any choice but to sign anything we put in front of them.

At least, that's what I remember, that was learned some time ago and may be wrong! Either way they're bloody useless.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I would think one would have to use honey from Charlie's own organic farm, Duchy Originals.

Ahh... now we're getting somewhere. While you guys can vent your spleens in frustration all you like, I happen to like the Royals. The Queen is a very impressive lady, and strikes me as a no-nonsense monarch. I'd happily trade most of the US government for her. We don't have anyone as classy as her in Washington (though Mrs. Obama does have style).

So I'll be watching the spectacle with my daughters.

That Heather honey from the Balmoral estate sounds interesting. Is there any other honey in England we could look for. Something from Buckfast Abbey maybe?

What about yeast? Anyone know the ABV tolerance of Windsor ale yeast (being the house of Windsor - that might work)? Any other good English strains we ought to consider?

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Ha, sorry for the off-topic! I happen to like the Queen as well (and Di back in the day), but that's largely because I don't have to pay for them!

Anyone know what the official plants are of England? Those might be useful in a mel or a meth.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC

I'm thinking a tart . . . cider?

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I think I might be 1/2 or a 1/4 Welsh, so you could use honey shipped to you from my fav beekeeper? ;) (kidding of course!)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns