• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

New Eyes

Barrel Char Wood Products

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
Making mead gives me a pair.

I find myself peeking in the pantry and wondering "could I make mead with that?"

Anybody out there ever take time lapse photos of yeasties at bubblework?

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
No, but I wish now that I'd taken a video of a stawberry mead that I did a few years back. Large chunks of fruit (in secondary, mind you) were riding the "CO2 Express" elevator to the top of my carboy, discharging their gas bubbles, and then dropping back down. The whole effect made the carboy contents look like it was being constantly stirred up from the bottom. What a cool thing to watch!

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I like to ferment in glass whenever possible any time I'm using fruit with big seeds like raspberry, just so that I can watch this very effect! It ends up looking like they're being shot out of cannons from the bottom with big plumes of sediment following them, loads of fun! ;D

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
I like to ferment in glass whenever possible any time I'm using fruit with big seeds like raspberry, just so that I can watch this very effect! It ends up looking like they're being shot out of cannons from the bottom with big plumes of sediment following them, loads of fun! ;D

Oh, you crazy canuk.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Hey, that's spelled Canuck! We like our redundant letters and are sticking with em!

(Any one else frustrated by the existance of the letter C? I'm sure it does stuff in other languages, but in English all it does is sound like S or K, or be combined into CH (which could be replaced by KH easily)... bah, I'm a bit of a goof with linguistics!)

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I sure notice honey varieties more than I used to!

I don't ever primary in a carboy for one important reason: terminal laziness. A bunch of secondary reasons as well, but the primary reason (har har har) is that I don't want to wash the things. :)

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
or be combined into CH (which could be replaced by KH easily)... bah, I'm a bit of a goof with linguistics!)

Uh..."Chuck Chose Cheeseburger" -> "Khuk Khose Kheeseburger"? Damn...Canadians are worse than Newzealanders :p

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Uh..."Chuck Chose Cheeseburger" -> "Khuk Khose Kheeseburger"? Damn...Canadians are worse than Newzealanders :p

Oh it's not a Canadian thing, I just have a personal vendetta against the letter C for it's being useless. Of course, it does look nice when written down... ;)

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
Score!

I've been watching a thread for an ancient recipe that uses birch sap.

Usually, around me, birch don't make the 10" diameter cut that would make tapping the tree safe for the tree.

BUT! Now, with my New Eyes, I see there's a huge birch across the street!

God Bless the Mead Maker's eyes...
Oh, and "Blessed are the cheese makers..."

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Oh it's not a Canadian thing, I just have a personal vendetta against the letter C for it's being useless. Of course, it does look nice when written down... ;)

AToE's opinion of the letter C is not necessarily the opinion of the whole country... Brought to you by the other redundant letters X and Q...

... why do I suddenly feel like watching Sesame Street...

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Oh it's not a Canadian thing, I just have a personal vendetta against the letter C for it's being useless. Of course, it does look nice when written down...

You should switch to Croatian we have three C letters and none are a K sound!

There's C which sounds like the TS in caTS, then there's Č which sounds like the first CH in CHurch, and then there's Ć which sounds like the last CH in churCH, and is what most people mispronounce as a 'K' when they see a last name like Bakulić.

Tannin Boy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 6, 2010
Webster, NY
I've been watching a thread for an ancient recipe that uses birch sap.

Usually, around me, birch don't make the 10" diameter cut that would make tapping the tree safe for the tree.

BUT! Now, with my New Eyes, I see there's a huge birch across the street!

God Bless the Mead Maker's eyes...
Oh, and "Blessed are the cheese makers..."

TA,

I'm finding the same thing....Lookin for new sources of trees :eek:
Sadly I have a 14" birch that is behind my neighbors house and
the Ice storm got it a few years back...:( Never thought I would be sad
to see a dead tree like that! Dam, that sucker could have been a gold mine.

TB

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
You should switch to Croatian we have three C letters and none are a K sound!

There's C which sounds like the TS in caTS, then there's [FONT=&quot]Č which sounds like the first CH in CHurch, and then there's [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ć which sounds like the last CH in churCH, and is what most people mispronounce as a 'K' when they see a last name like Bakuli[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ć.

[/FONT]

Ha, good point, my buddy is Croatian and I kept pronouncing the C at the beginning of his name as K, even though it's TS (it's hard to put that tiny bit of T before the S sound, very Cantonese sounding almost). Also, he has that CH at the end of his name that's pronounced as SH.

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
On the other hand be glad you don't play a txistu where the txi is pronounced the same as the che in cheese.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Ha, good point, my buddy is Croatian and I kept pronouncing the C at the beginning of his name as K, even though it's TS (it's hard to put that tiny bit of T before the S sound, very Cantonese sounding almost). Also, he has that CH at the end of his name that's pronounced as SH.

My husband's half Slovenian so my new last name has a C in it that nobody ever gets right... How do YOU think "Ermenc" should be pronounced? I'll give you a clue, it sure ain't a K-like sound...

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Slavic languages are simply phonetically richer than the romance languages; there's no way around it! ;D

For example, when the Poles decided to adopt the Roman alphabet they tried really hard not to add a bunch of diacritical marks to letters. They couldn't resist a few, but for the most part they indicated different consonant sounds by combinations of letters, which is why for example my surname (in the proper Polish spelling) is Bonczyk. My grandfather was forced to drop the z when he went through Ellis Island, because the immigration guard there couldn't understand what he was trying to say, so he "simplified" our name for us. :mad:

Anyway, you can have lots of diacritic variations as are found in Czech and Croatian, or you can simply expect it to be understood in context (as in Slovenian, and for the most part, Slovak) or you can end up with things like szcz, szw, ncz, etc, as you find in Polish.

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
I am paying more attention now to the seasons, to what is in season when, to what I can ferment... Can't wait for the CSA boxes to start coming.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns