• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Florida Mead Gathering

Barrel Char Wood Products

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
While the Mead Fest in Colorado is going so well, a few of us in Florida on the [meadmakers] and [mead] email groups also got together for a little party to share our meads.

A wonderful time was had by all. Howard took notes on who brought what with them and may be disclosing that on another post.
Here is small list of what we had:
cyser made with mulling spices,
Christmas mead,
Everything but the kitchen sink methaglin,
Some passion fruit melomels,
Several peach melomels,
A few traditionals,
A lactomel (yes, a lactomel),
One participant even brought some coffee mead that was to die for!

All the meads were very excellent and very drinkable with one exception. Some were still young and had a bit of a hot flavor to them but excellent flavor and nose. Some meads surprised us with how they had aged in such a short time and others were trying to convince one to enter their one Orange Blossom mead into the local Meadlenium contest. Needless to say, all present could see who was leaving with an inflated sense of pride in their mead as their head got stuck in the doorway upon attempted exit. Which was pretty much all of us as we all had brought excellent products. Just imagine the pileup at the door!

The exception I spoke of earlier is a lactomel that one gentleman brought just to get our opinions on. He'd made it a few years before with lactose free milk and thought it might be an interresting one for all to try. We all tried it and found that it was not to any of our likings. Oddly enough, the gentleman who made it didn't like it either and was simply curious for opinions and thought that the novelty of the mead would intrigue us all, which it did. With no hard feelings and honest opinions given the gentleman left much later with a smile on his face and several new friends in Florida.

With mead filled bellies, warm hearts, new friends, we all found it difficult to leave the Higgins House Bed and Breakfast as it's such a warm and inviting place to see and visit. However, with invitations to come back for a visit and see new made friends, we all left for the evening to go home and slumber.

This was definately a "must do again" kind of event, but perhaps with more people.

Talon.

Maelduin

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2006
Talon,

Hey, neighbor! I'm in New Smyrna Beach, though I'm moving back to Orlando for grad school in the fall. Where is the B&B that you held the event? I just started brewing about a month ago, so I might barely have something worth bringing by next year or the year after. Are you planning on making this an annual event? Do you have links to the email lists you mentioned? Are they Yahoogroups, perhaps?

Regards,

Michael

florida98cobra

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 23, 2009
poinciana florida
fellow florida mead here

hello i am in poinciana. i have been making mead for about 2 years now. (still a newbee) i am happy to see others in the state gathering. any info on another meet i would be interested in possibly going. hope to hear from you soon.

Aldene

Banned
Jan 26, 2011
Well i must say that All the meads were very excellent and very drinkable with one exception. Some were still young and had a bit of a hot flavor to them but excellent flavor and nose. Some meads surprised us with how they had aged in such a short time and others were trying to convince one to enter their one Orange Blossom mead into the local Meadlenium contest.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Wow, joined and banned in the same day with one post. That's got to be some kind of record. ???

This person posts the same links under different names on a 3 or 4 time a year basis. It is a spammer that is known to this forum. We have a strict no tolerance policy for spammers. I actually tend to catch them faster than one day which is why you seldom see any "Banned" notifications.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns