• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hello from a newbie!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Tannin Boy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 6, 2010
Webster, NY
Hey everyone!

Very excited to have found this site thanks to this article: http://www.chinchinjobs.com/news/Article/ancient-drink-mead-gaining-popularity-once-again-1117 ;D

I work in the drinks industry but have only recently tried Mead for the first time, desperate to try making my own, looking forward to hunting out good recipes on this site!

Looking forward to chatting to you all soon!

DB x

From one newbie to another Welcome to Gotmead!
This palce is a wealth of knowledge and friendliness, Enjoy!

TB

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Welcome to the "Gotmead" community, Doodlebug!! We're certainly glad that you found us, although I'm still not quite sure how (since that link you provided isn't working for me - but from the title it appears to be a version of the Associate Press article that our founder, Vicky, had a hand in).

Nevertheless, we stand ready to assist with any and all your meadmaking questions. Have a look around the site (especially check out the NewBee Guide - a link is over on the left of this page - if you haven't already done so), and post up anything that's on your mind once you've poked around a bit. Also, take a look at our member map (link is near the top of this page), and stick a virtual pin in it to show us where you hail from, when you get a chance. You may find that there are already one or more Gotmeaders in your area, and part of the fun of all this is sharing experiences (and meads!!) with others. ;)

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Welcome to GotMead!
Not only is the wealth of knowledge here almost immeasurable, but the camaraderie is tremendous. It only took me a couple of weeks to decide to support this site by becoming a patron.

Take your shoes off, kick back and drink in the ambience (as well as the mead). I’m sure you’ll love it here. But be warned, this hobby is extremely addictive.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Hi, Doodlebug, and welcome to the addiction!

A nice place to start is with Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (also referred to as JAO), it's a relatively quick mead that's drinkable in a couple months and can be done quite reliably even without the proper winemaking equipment you'll eventually want for traditional meads, just make sure you follow the instructions and don't make substitutions. I think a lot of us make it somewhat regularly so we have something to drink while we're waiting for our more traditional meads and melomels to age.

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
Welcome to GOTMEAD?

If your looking for recipes, the patron brewlogs and recipes alone are worth much more than the cost of patronship.*

* I have received no compensation for this commercial endorsement. ;D

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
Hey everyone!

Very excited to have found this site thanks to this article: http://www.chinchinjobs.com/news/Article/ancient-drink-mead-gaining-popularity-once-again-1117 ;D

I work in the drinks industry but have only recently tried Mead for the first time, desperate to try making my own, looking forward to hunting out good recipes on this site!

Looking forward to chatting to you all soon!

DB x

Hey there Doodlebug. You'll find plenty of great recipes on this site. I also recommend picking up a copy of a book called The Compleat Meadmaker by Ken Schramm (do an Amazon.com search. You'll find it). That book and this site helped me go from complete noob, to one of the fastest growing commercial meadmakers in the country (the meadery, not me physically. that would be weird). If that's not a testimonial, I don't know what is. :)

Okay, modesty aside. :)

At the very least, you definitely want to check out recipes from Oskaar, Wayne B, Medson Fey and some of the other long-time mentors on this site. Everyone comes at this hobby from a slightly different background and approaches things slightly different. But I think you'll find that there's a trend in meadmaking to use nutrients to keep the little yeast happy, and in turn make your mead faster, and better tasting than those old recipes you'll find on other websites. Just be polite, use the search tool in this forum, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Cheers and happy mead making,

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns