• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Air stone 0.2 or 0.5

Barrel Char Wood Products

UKTony

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 24, 2012
Richmond, VA
I've seen people talk about 0.5 micron air stones.

Given the environment I'm making mead in and the overall messiness of drilling the snot out of it twice a day, I looked in on my local brew store and they have a 0.2 micron stone already hooked up to pump which I was eyeing.

Will a 0.2 do the job just as well or is it too small?

I'll still use the drill on low speed to degas but high speed seems to paint me and everything within about 5 ft with honey water.

Cheers

Tony

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
I believe I read that a .2 micron airstone won't work with a normal aquarium pump -- it needs higher pressure, like what you would get from an oxygen tank. I don't have any experience with that myself, but it's worth asking about before plucking down the cash. A .2 micron stone should aerate more quickly than a .5 micron stone.

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
I believe I read that a .2 micron airstone won't work with a normal aquarium pump -- it needs higher pressure, like what you would get from an oxygen tank. I don't have any experience with that myself, but it's worth asking about before plucking down the cash. A .2 micron stone should aerate more quickly than a .5 micron stone.

Let me modify that comment. I have a .2 micron stone with an oxygen tank, and it works beautifully. What I don't have experience with is normal aquarium pumps.

UKTony

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 24, 2012
Richmond, VA
I bought the 0.2 airstone, got it home and sanitised it, and tried it out, unfortunately some of the air is coming out of the airstone, but most of it is coming out of what appears to be a faulty join between the airstone and the pipe.... have to take it back to the store and wait for another one now.... sigh

Vance G

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2011
Great Falls Montana
In a pinch, just tie a nut on the end of the airline. It takes longer but will areate even if inefficiently. Use what you have-seal the leak with bubblegun, it is just not a huge problem. Just think of all those native women chewing roots to make booz in the jungle if the bubblegum sounds like a bad idea:<} Should be a small matter for a guy with pink hair.

UKTony

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 24, 2012
Richmond, VA
Let me modify that comment. I have a .2 micron stone with an oxygen tank, and it works beautifully. What I don't have experience with is normal aquarium pumps.

Can you see the air coming out of the stone in water?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
Can you see the air coming out of the stone in water?

I've never actually put it in water, except for water with StarSan in it, but there it is clear that the air is coming out of the stone. It foams immediately. The air seems to come out from only around half of the stone, a little off-center from the middle.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns