• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Guidelines for Potassium use in buffering and pH control

Barrel Char Wood Products

jrdewhirst

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 14, 2024
Bristol, RI
I'm new to the forum but have been making mead for 5 years. I think I have the process down pretty well for what I do, which is simple -- a totally dry mead with ~12% ABV.

I have tried to pay close attention to water quality. For example, I stopped using my well water in favor of distilled water to which I add minerals as needed. As part of this process, I add Dipotassium Phosphate to ensure >300 ppm of K for buffering. I assume maybe 50 ppm in the honey itself after dilution -- 16 lbs of honey plus 5.33 gallons of water for roughly a 6.5 gallon batch. Usually the mix starts out at a pH of 4-5 but then after the Dipotassium Phosphate is added and the ferment proceeds, it rapidly drops to the mid 3's. With no intervention, it will usually drop below 3.2.

To prevent too low pH during the ferment, I add small daily increments of Potassium Carbonate or Potassium Bicarbonate. I've gravitated to K Bicarb (vs Carb) because (1) it seems to taste less sharp, and (2) it elevates pH more per unit of K.

My question is: Are there guidelines for the use of these compounds? I believe that they are all safe to consume in the modest quantities I'm using (e.g., 16 g Dipotassium Phosphate, maximum 20-25 g Potassium Bicarbonate per 6.5 gallons), so I am mostly focused on other issues. Specifically, is there a taste threshold that I should be concerned about? Anything else?

I realize that K can impact blood pressure (tend to lower it), but I'm not concerned based on what I think I know. My total added K, even including some KMB and sorbate, maxes out at ~1000 ppm ignoring any offset from precipitated solids. 1000 ppm would equate to 1000 mg per kilogram would equate to 1000 mg per liter vs a daily dietary requirement of almost 5000 mg. So I could get almost my daily requirement by drinking a gallon, but then I would puke. :)

Thanks!

p.s. I tried searching for an answer before posting, without success. Feel free to point me toward prior answers that I missed.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns