• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hopped Braggot

Barrel Char Wood Products

Tarzan31b

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 8, 2018
New Hampshire
It is difficult to find Braggot's where I am so I am going to have some fun trying to make something that I enjoy.

I have just one recipe at this time but hope to start 3 batches this year. All will be similar so that I can see what small changes can do to each batch.
I don't like bitter hops but have had hops in mead that were great. Aroma and taste with a low level of bitterness is my objective. I am a Mead drinker from sunrise to sunset, it's the greatest thing on earth in my opinion so honey heavy is better than hop heavy.
My understanding of a Braggot is a balanced honey/beer beverage. By Mazer standards has a minimum of 20% honey (which I think is insanely low and is more of a honey beer at that ratio, but I am not a Mazer, just a drinker.)

Recipe 1

1.5lb Wildflower honey (added post boil)
.75 lb Munich crushed malt (45min)
.25 lb Victory crushed malt (30 min)
.1 lb Caramel crushed malt (25 min)

.1oz Willamette (20m)
.1oz Cascade (20m)
.1oz Willamette (10m)
.1oz Cascade (10m)

Yeast - Now this I have no idea. To make a good Braggot am I shooting for an ale yeast or wine? I have come across so many answers but none have struck me as the right one for me. I do have the ability to speak to a Mazer typically 2 or 3 minutes per week but I am unsure if he has done a Braggot himself.

Thanks for any input!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns