• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Salt in Brewing?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Bug Jug

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2024
Le Roy, ny
We use salt in all kinds of food and drinks to enhance flavors, but I haven't seen any wisdom regarding salting brewed items like beer, wine, or mead (mead is what I'm primarily working on).

I'm not looking for a salty, briny mead, I just want know if there's a reasonable amount of salt I could add that could enhance the flavors in my mead(s).

Does anyone have any experience adding a touch of salt that could add their two cents? Amount of salt per gallon, etc?

For context, I'm working on a very small basis, one gallon at a time.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
You wouldn’t want to add it until after the fermentation is done, as the yeast would not like it.

Bug Jug

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2024
Le Roy, ny
You wouldn’t want to add it until after the fermentation is done, as the yeast would not like it.

Right, I would probably add it after secondary fermentation and/or right before bottling along with any sweetener, if I choose to sweeten

ckroyce124

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2022
Greeneville TN
I have used it in a couple melomels where the fruit was very tart and had a bit more bitterness than I wanted. (One was Andean blackberry and one was maracuya passion fruit) Before doing this the pH and sweetness was adjusted to the level suited to the flavor of the fruit. I bench tasted carrying amounts and found it took very little to do what I wanted, which was to enhance flavor and temper the bite. If you go over that level the salt can overwhelm it at a surprisingly small dose and you can't take it out. Both those fruits are intense and I think I landed at 2 grams per gallon on the Andean blackberry and 3 grams/gallon on the maracuya.

Reactions: Bug Jug

Bug Jug

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2024
Le Roy, ny
I have used it in a couple melomels where the fruit was very tart and had a bit more bitterness than I wanted. (One was Andean blackberry and one was maracuya passion fruit) Before doing this the pH and sweetness was adjusted to the level suited to the flavor of the fruit. I bench tasted carrying amounts and found it took very little to do what I wanted, which was to enhance flavor and temper the bite. If you go over that level the salt can overwhelm it at a surprisingly small dose and you can't take it out. Both those fruits are intense and I think I landed at 2 grams per gallon on the Andean blackberry and 3 grams/gallon on the maracuya.
An answer like this was exactly what I was looking for, thanks!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns