• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Tej & Ethiopian Dinner

Barrel Char Wood Products

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
The wife and I went to an Ethiopian restaraunt (Blue Nile) tonight for dinner. At looking at their web it looked like they didn't serve alcohol. Not a problem. But then we walk in and see a full bar. Nice!

Even nicer, on the menu was Tej! So, of course I had to try it! And it tasted so good I got another... What ever it's called they served it in.
View attachment 934

It was dry, and had a little unknown spicy to it. Very tasty like I said. The whole experience was very tasty.

Swordnut

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 26, 2013
Holland
That's a berele, the jug like glass its served in. Tej is a mead spiced with twigs and leaves from a buckthorn shrub which gives it a hop-like taste. :) nice find, wish something like that was available where I live.​

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
You can buy gesho leaves and twigs to make your own Tej. When I get around to it I am planning on getting these from Brundo (in Oakland CA).

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
Very interesting information there JimH! This could explain part of my night Thursday (;

But I do plan on making some as well eventually, it's on the list now that I've tried it and enjoyed it!

Jim H

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2013
NYC
Very interesting information there JimH! This could explain part of my night Thursday (;

But I do plan on making some as well eventually, it's on the list now that I've tried it and enjoyed it!

:eek: I was hoping that I was wrong! You didn't experience the "violently purgative" part, did you?

Anyway, it looks like the bark and berries are the most ... active, ahem ... part of the plant. I'm not sure of the small twigs that some recipes call for, they may have enough bark on them to do damage. Maybe you want to only use the leaves, if you're going to make it.

Remember, if you're getting the greens in an herbal shop, the items sold might have medicinal properties, and might not be the same as herbs used in food.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
There are as many recipes for Tej as there are houses in Ethiopia..everyone has their own formula...it's just like BBQ sauce...Find one without that crazy pooping tree additive. I'm sure 20 minutes on Google will reveal many different variations. In the end, T'ej is mead.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns