• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

how much air in the carboy?

Barrel Char Wood Products

maenad

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2008
I decided to try the Joe's ancient orange (first time making mead) and it calls for a one gallon carboy. I don't have one - only have a five litre one.

I started the mead two days ago and it didn't occur to me that the extra air in the carboy (a litre and a half of air, so to speak) would create problems. Now my airlock isn't bubbling at all. Will it start late? Or is it too late to top up the mead with extra water?

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Hello Maenad,

Don't Panic!

Just over a litre of air is not much during the primary stage of fermentation, so don't worry about that. Do not top up with water as this will only dilute the final product. Airgaps above a Must have nothing to do with the ability to ferment. They can become an issue during aging when you want to reduce the air above a Mead as much as possible, so try to get a 1 gallon jug to use when you rack.

It sounds more like you are not seeing any fermentation at all since you say the airlock is not bubbling. Was it bubbling at all during any of the past 2 days? Do you see any bubbles in the Mead itself? Did you follow the directions precisely? How old was the bread yeast that you used? Do you have another packet that is younger that you can throw into the Must to see if the other one was too old?

Let us know what you did and we can help find an answer to the problem.

Angus

maenad

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2008
After leaving the mead a few more days, the bottle began to fizz gently and now has a thin layer of foam on top. I had no more bread yeast, so I opened the carboy then and pitched in some wine yeast. (one teaspoon). Since then, it's continued to fizz gently but the airlock hasn't bubbled.

No point in tossing it out - it probably won't turn out good, but I'll leave it in a dark corner for a few months and let you know.

Tyred

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 11, 2005
If it has a layer of foam on the top, then it is fermenting. It sounds like it is working only slowly. What sort of temperature are you fermenting at ?

The extra air won't hurt it in the beginning as yeast does like some extra oxygen at the start of the process. The top of the must will eventually get covered with CO2 and protect it.

The airlock not bubbling cannot be taken as a sign that nothing is happening. Sometimes the airlock may not be fitted properly and so excess gas can escape (if it can find an easier way than pushing out through an airlock it will).

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns