• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

ABV adjustment?

Barrel Char Wood Products

MarsBars

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 29, 2010
I made a blueberry melomel with a target FG of around 1.025. What I got was a FG of .900. I used Wyeast's sweet mead yeast that should have stopped at about 12%...not even close when I started with an OG of 1.110. My question is how can I lower this rocket fuel to a more suitable ABV level? I know I can increase the volume but with just honey or can I mix in a little water. My fear with that is it might be like topping off wine with water.....it tastes watery. I have six gallons of melomel. I racked the mead into a secondary at 10% on to 9 pounds of (previously fresh, but frozen) blueberries.....wild yeast make it go dry maybe? It tastes okay except it is really dry and hot!

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
First off, congrats on getting a yeast that fails almost every time anyone uses it (even experienced people) to not just perform, but over perform - you did something right!

You're not sitting at too high of an ABV right now really, what you just described is almost exactly how I make all my dry blueberry mel's in terms of starting SG versus final SG.

I would let it age for a while before making any decisions, you can always dilute and backsweeten, but you can't undo those changes. With this relatively small blueberry addition you should end up with a nice rose-like mead here, you might find you love it after it's aged for 6-12 months.

mccann51

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Nov 8, 2010
Southwestern USA
I second AToE's suggestion; let it age, decide later. You'll be amazed how much sweetness returns once the alcohol mellows... haha, I should make that my signature.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
I've had that happen too, a mead that was too dry, I ended up bottling some of it after backsweetening the rest, put the dry version away and forgot about it. It unearthed a few years later, I was pleasantly suprised that a thin and too dry tasting mead had taken on more mouthfeel and more perceived sweetness.

That's another thought also -- ethyl alcohol actually has a sweet taste to it. Emile Peynaud has written on this in his wine tasting book.

--

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Folks, this post is in the wrong place. Please post appropriately in the appropriate forums.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns