• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Some questions on 2nd mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

mhorlick

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2010
Hello,

I have made Joes's Ancient Orange and Spice Mead a couple of times before with much success.

This time, I decided to do a mead with just honey, water and yeast.

Started it on June 13. 3 lbs of honey, Lalvin EC-1118 yeast in a 1 gallon jug. Last week it stopped bubbling. I sampled a bit of it

Observations: Very cloudy and pretty potent. I measured the SG to be 1.06.

How do I fix the cloudiness?

Also, I was thinking of flavouring it with some bing cherries (and possibly a couple of cinnamon sticks and some raisins).

The opening to the jug is pretty small. When racking to a new jug how do I go about adding cherries to this jug? Should I freeze the cherries first, put them in a muslin bag and when they defrost somehow push the bag through the opening?

Would 1 lb of cherries have much affect on the taste or should I be using more?

Thanks,

Mike

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Hello,

I have made Joes's Ancient Orange and Spice Mead a couple of times before with much success.

This time, I decided to do a mead with just honey, water and yeast.

Started it on June 13. 3 lbs of honey, Lalvin EC-1118 yeast in a 1 gallon jug. Last week it stopped bubbling. I sampled a bit of it

Observations: Very cloudy and pretty potent. I measured the SG to be 1.06.

How do I fix the cloudiness?

Also, I was thinking of flavouring it with some bing cherries (and possibly a couple of cinnamon sticks and some raisins).

The opening to the jug is pretty small. When racking to a new jug how do I go about adding cherries to this jug? Should I freeze the cherries first, put them in a muslin bag and when they defrost somehow push the bag through the opening?

Would 1 lb of cherries have much affect on the taste or should I be using more?

Thanks,

Mike
As it is, it's what'd be termed "Show Mead" Mike. If you posted the exact ingredients and technique/method, then one of those familiar with show meads would be able to assist.

IMO, at 1.060, it's very likely still fermenting, though the absence of any nutrient/energiser type ingredients will make for a long, slow fermentation. EC-1118 is capable of 18% ABV, hence I'm presuming it's got a way to go yet.

The cloudiness is likely to be the yeast still in suspension, which wouldn't be a surprise if it does still have some room to ferment. It might depend on what the starting gravity was, as to the likely % ABV. Either way if that's what you were intending i.e. a show mead, then I believe you're not supposed to do anything else with it and leave it to gravity/time for it to clear.

Obviously, if you're thinking of adding further ingredients, then it ceases to be a show mead and adding fruit/spices not only changes the flavour, but has the potential to bring in a few other issues i.e. the other ingredients will provide some nutrient value as well as more fermentable sugars, some aeration (from adding the further ingredients etc) could easily encourage the ferment to start/change/restart/etc etc.

It's worth thinking about what it is that you're trying to achieve, before you start "moving the goal posts".....

regards

fatbloke

mhorlick

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2010
Hi,

Thank you for response. I think I made a mistake in stating the SG. I believe it should be 1.006 not 1.06. After I took a sample a few days ago and put the airlock back on it did continue to ferment for a few hours before stopping.

I wanted to to see what show mead was like. I guess I prefer Joe's Mead since it had 3 and 1/2 lbs of honey and with the cinnamon and raisins it has more appeal to me since I prefer a sweet wine/mead.

I would still like to find out how I can flavor it with fruit/spices in a 1 gallon jug.

Regards,
Mike

RightHookCook

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 16, 2011
Colchester, England
Well if is still fermenting very slowly and your not going to re-pitch or add any nutrients then its probably best just to sit it out mate, let it ferment all the way it can and see what you have then.

Then if you still want to flavour it or backsweeten it you can do , but most people would advise sulphite & sorbate to stop the fermentation from kicking back up again, but then it would not be a show mead would it ;)

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
To fix cloudyness the best solution is time and racking it off the sediment every time a fair amount has fallen (I usually rack right when fermentation is over, then a month or two later, then once or twice more over the next year or more).

Clearing is the first important improvment a mead makes while aging, it really fixes the aroma and flavour. Then slow chemical reactions will turn it into liquid gold.

I find traditionals or show meads/etc to be the slowest to clear, some of mine have taken close to a year.

mhorlick

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2010
Ok, thanks for the info. I will rack now , and keep on racking when it looks it needs some more.

Regards,

Mike

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Before you rack, check the SG again, this yeast has the ability to take this one all the way to dry (well below 1.000) so it's probably not done fermenting yet. Don't rely on the bubbles, they lie!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns