• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

ring around the bottle...

Barrel Char Wood Products

chiguire

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2010
Katy, TX
Is there anything other than infection that could cause ring around the bottle.

There is a visible ring in the aging bottles of this batch.

Heritage traditional

However, none have exploded. They do not seem to be carbonated (no hiss), and it seems odd that infection would take hold after so much time...

Has anyone else experienced a non-infectious ring?

This honey has a ridiculous amount of protein that has taken a long time to drop...

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Is it a ring around the surface of the mead in the bottle? It's probably just reverse lees, yeast and wax particles and such that float up rather than sink. I see faint lines in the bottles from mead and beer all the time, more visible in the ones I bottled early, nearly non existant in ones I waited longer.

I'm sure it's nothing honestly, if it keeps tasting and smelling good then it is good!

chiguire

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2010
Katy, TX
You are always quick to help and reassure. Thanks, AToE.

I'll crack a bottle tonight and see how it tastes. If all is well, I'll command my anxiety to cease and desist and I'll relax.

Thanks

Is it a ring around the surface of the mead in the bottle? It's probably just reverse lees, yeast and wax particles and such that float up rather than sink. I see faint lines in the bottles from mead and beer all the time, more visible in the ones I bottled early, nearly non existant in ones I waited longer.

I'm sure it's nothing honestly, if it keeps tasting and smelling good then it is good!

chiguire

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2010
Katy, TX
@ AToE
Taste test = good

Did you sulfite this mead? Did the gravity remain at 1.006?

Medsen, I did not sulfite this mead.
I took a gravity reading of it tonight when I cracked a bottle to taste (I let the sample warm up to 60 degrees first) It was spot on 1.006

Conclusion -- I guess I have nothing to worry about and the ring was a result of not letting everything drop out in bulk.

A side note While looking through my brewing notes for this mead I realized that it is just a few days older than a year now! I have let this sit in bottles without drinking many at all, because before it was quite phenolic and band-aid like.

The bottle I cracked tonight was one of the portion that I aged on French oak. I AM DUMBFOUNDED at the transformation that this mead has undergone -- rich, vanilla-y, fruity, complex and desirable.

I am a convert to oak. Good grief the oak is intoxicating in this, but not overbearing.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Oak is good stuff as long as it's not over done! And yeah, that first time that you get to actually experience what aging does is pretty close to a religious experience isn't it? ;D

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I just had one with my '09 wild grape wine tonight, last time I tried it it was "meh", but tonight (I think almost a year later?) it's full of awesome...

dave_witt

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
This thread is giving me hope that my cysers will turn out great, if I just give them enough time. It's been 10 and 11 months for the two batches, but I don't want to wait much longer.

chiguire

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2010
Katy, TX
is pretty close to a religious experience isn't it? ;D

Indeed it is!

Chevette Girl said:
it's full of awesome...

Good description!

dave_witt said:
This thread is giving me hope that my cysers will turn out great, if I just give them enough time. It's been 10 and 11 months for the two batches, but I don't want to wait much longer.

I have 0 experience with cysers, but I say wait as long as you can. I have never been disappointed by aging (for barley wines, red wine and mead)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns