• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Unintentional peanut butter cyser

Barrel Char Wood Products

AlphaGenetics

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Just want to vent frustration over a stupid mistake.

I picked up a couple 2-gallon pails from bulk barn for small scale recipe testing. They originally had peanut butter in them. Soaked them overnight in soapy water, rinsed, sloshed around some vinegar for a couple hours, rinsed and sanitized. At the time there was no more peanut butter smell, and ahead I went. Now that I've racked out of those pails into a secondary, the stink of peanut butter has resurfaced and there's a hint of it in my cysers.

Science damn it!

Here's hoping the orange, cinnamon, clove, and cranberries in my secondary can cover that up..

056r

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 26, 2011
Hey it might not be such a bad thing, peanut butter and apples go pretty well together. It might turn out to be a happy accident.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Well, it might have been better to wash/rinse them with a solvent that wouldn't damage the plastic, but still have dissolved any of the nut oil that might have tainted the plastic - don't forget, it's the type of plastic that dictates whether it will be suitable or not. It has to be non-permeable, like HDPE or PET - some others are listed as food grade, but still slightly porous, which would allow some of the oils to get taken up.

Think yourself lucky, peanut butter is pretty nice. It could have been high concentration lavender oil or something like that. Then how would the brews have been tainted beyond belief ;D

AlphaGenetics

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Well, it might have been better to wash/rinse them with a solvent that wouldn't damage the plastic, but still have dissolved any of the nut oil that might have tainted the plastic - don't forget, it's the type of plastic that dictates whether it will be suitable or not. It has to be non-permeable, like HDPE or PET - some others are listed as food grade, but still slightly porous, which would allow some of the oils to get taken up.

Think yourself lucky, peanut butter is pretty nice. It could have been high concentration lavender oil or something like that. Then how would the brews have been tainted beyond belief ;D

I had a look and they were plastic number 5, not the 1's and 2's like you listed. Thanks, I thought food grade meant good to go. So I tossed those. Good riddance! And yes, I suppose it could have been much nastier than peanut butter. A quick google for "peanut butter apple honey" suggests people intentionally put these things together, so it may not be all that bad

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I like using the Burke's Honey buckets from Bulk Barn, that way you know it's not going to have oils on the plastic and you don't have to worry about killing anyone with a peanut allergy later :)

For when you use cinnamon in primary sometime, I've found that pink cleanser has been really good for me for getting stains and odours out of plastics, can't remember what's in it though, I think it's chlorine-based.

...Thank you Google, it's Chlorinated Tri-sodium Phosphate.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Soaking with PBW or a similar percarbonate cleaner (like oxyclean) can often remove stubborn odors from a plastic bucket. I've found that handy for all sorts of household items besides fermenters (like tupperware containers).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Soaking with PBW or a similar percarbonate cleaner (like oxyclean) can often remove stubborn odors from a plastic bucket. I've found that handy for all sorts of household items besides ferments (like tupperware containers).

Have you found anything that degreases plastics better than a dishwasher? I haven't.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns