• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Secondary / Aging Vessel -- Airtight?

Barrel Char Wood Products

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
When mead is transferred to secondary or to the container for bulk aging, does it have to be airtight (well, there should be as little headspace as possible)? Apparently the ancients used olive oil on top of the wine to keep the outside air out -- the idea being that the oil will sit on top of the wine, creating a barrier against outside air... I'm just wondering whether anyone has tried this before and/or whether it's even a good idea...

illuveatar

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 5, 2012
I've considered putting olive oil in my airlock to prevent it from drying out. Water tends to evaporate after a few months and if you're bulk aging it's easy to forget to check it. I'd be curious to see if anyone else has used that trick. Putting olive oil directly on top of the mead sounds like it would work but I wonder if it would effect the flavor in any way. Seems unnecessary when you could just use an airlock.

I wouldn't seal the mead off airtight in the secondary since there could be gas buildup. I've got a mead in tertiary that I've put a solid cork over but that's only because my 7 airlocks are in use. I'll have to buy more when I go to my home brew shop.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I've read some threads around here where folks have tried it with mineral oil (so no flavour transfer from the olive oil).

In secondary, you want to minimize oxygen exposure. Airtight would imply no pressure release and you don't want that, could get dangerous... although I am kind of intrigued with the thought of putting an oil in the airlock, thank you for that idea! Maybe I'll try it with an old airlock on a long-term aging must...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns