• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

My first apiary

Barrel Char Wood Products

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
The "Bee Natural Honey" apiary, which apparently sells a lot of honey on Amazon , happens to be about an hour's drive from my house. I was going to go to another apiary today, but I cannot find the freaking link again... I'm hoping Bee Natural is open to the public and I can buy some bulk orange blossom there today as well as take a few pictures of the experience to post to the BOMM brewlog.

Bob1016

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
I just got 5gal of palm and a friend got 5gal of OB, we paid $255 each with shipping. Just as a price point.
Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of Bee Natures honey, it's fine quality, but I'm partial to central florida OB, though there is an apiary in the keys that produces a 100% Valencia orange honey that tastes amazing, but costs more.
I highly suggest trying honey from as many apiaries as possible, and make small batches to get a picture of their uniqueness. Every hive, floral source, region, and producer is slightly different in taste, and of course year to year variations.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Well it didn't turn out to be the idillic picturesque location I envisioned:

syqe8ady.jpg

But at a little over 3 bucks a pound I just got three gallons of organic OB for 115 bucks. It's mix of all the local honey heated slightly to remove the wax, bee parts etc. it's a mix of all the local OB honey I should clear up.

Tastes so very nice!

Last edited:

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I just paid $54 CDN for 15 lb of golden honey from my apiary... $3.60/lb. Mine is more picturesque but the bees are offsite because the original beekeeper's wife is highly allergic... The drawing of the house is what it looks like in real life :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns