• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Rawfoodist MEAD

Barrel Char Wood Products

machohippy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2014
san francisco
Raw concept of MEAD:

Proper ratios of each to fill 1 gallon glass carboys.

RAW HONEY uncooked never pasteurized ever
FILTERED WATER
Package or LALVIN 71b-1122 Saccharomyces Cerevisiae(wine starter yeast from local brew shop)
Organic Fruits and spices I have not decided which yet
Glass Carboys
Airgaps
TIME

Would this be a wild ferment? Is there a term of Wile Ferment for MEAD?

I think people like to pasteurize the must first including the honey in hot water. This I want to avoid for the purpose of being raw.

Another question would be can you create a slower fermenting MEAD just growing wild yeast cultures similar to how sourdough is made? This question may be a stretch.

Any Input would be appreciated.

I am already fermenting sauerkraut and kvass raw with success. Infact you don't need any starter yeast or bacteria strain for these. It is a salt brine raw ferment that creates the proper environment for lacto bacteria to colonize. But, I notice for the first time MEAD. I a excited to do this and give it a try.

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
Hello! Welcome to GotMead and the Addiction/Hobby! (=

Firstly, most of us prefer not to heat the honey at all, as that will drive off some of the aroma and flavours. The less processed, the better. This would not be a Wild Ferment as you will be using 71b for your yeast.

If you want a wild ferment, then you will need to create a must, and set it out so that some wild yeast can get in there and ferment it. This could cause a slower ferment, or you may get a workhorse yeast that just plows through it quickly. If you want slower, then you need to ferment it cooler.

Homemade kraut is awesome! I need to get me a new vat so I can get some more of it going this year!

Cheers!

ostensibly

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI
Mmmm sauerkraut. I just started a batch of spicy red cabbage yesterday.

IDK for sure, but I imagine that if you want a wild yeast for your mead you should skip the airlock until it's established.

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
The real rawfoodist mead uses raw comb directly from the hive, some drone larva in it for protein for the yeasts, some pollen and propolis and black comb for character. A few bees that didnt get out of the way wont hurt either. Wild yeast in mead is a gamble, it might not have the alcohol tolerance to preserve the mead. I would go with KI-V1116 over 71B as the 71B requires more nutrients than K1-V1116. Welcome to GM. WVMJ

Reactions: mmclean

machohippy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2014
san francisco
Good Stuff

Definitely liking this site. Thanks. I just found this place in Berkeley ca.

http://www.culturedpickleshop.com/community.html

This girl is inspiring with fermenting.

The world of fermentation is new and freaking cool to me over the last 4 months or so. I've had good success to date.

So this MEAD, do you really get a buzz from it? Just wondering.

I gave up drinking. But I might have to enjoy my own when my first batch comes through.

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
It has alcohol in it and is about as strong as most wines or stronger so yes, you will get a buzz if you drink enough.

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
This is anecdotal only. I don't have any hard evidence to back this up, but I find that my homemade mead at 14% gives me more of a buzz than, say, an Italian table wine at 14%. I don't know why, or even if its a real effect, but it is the way it seems to me.

I'm sure others will chime in and give a yay or nay in response to this.

Joe

Definitely liking this site. Thanks. I just found this place in Berkeley ca.

http://www.culturedpickleshop.com/community.html

This girl is inspiring with fermenting.

The world of fermentation is new and freaking cool to me over the last 4 months or so. I've had good success to date.

So this MEAD, do you really get a buzz from it? Just wondering.

I gave up drinking. But I might have to enjoy my own when my first batch comes through.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
This is anecdotal only. I don't have any hard evidence to back this up, but I find that my homemade mead at 14% gives me more of a buzz than, say, an Italian table wine at 14%. I don't know why, or even if its a real effect, but it is the way it seems to me.

I'm sure others will chime in and give a yay or nay in response to this.

Joe

With me it seems the opposite is true. It's almost like what I would imagine synthahol from Star Trek fame would be like. I get an initial strong buzz that goes away much faster than traditional wine. Again, this may be my wild idea of what's going on, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
My anecdotal bit: I get a worse hangover if I overindulge in totally natural homemade wine or mead than if I overdo it with something that's been stabilized with potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphite...

But yes, mead DOES have alcohol, and if you are affected by alcohol, it will give you a buzz. Or get you rip-roaring drunk if you're not careful, sometimes meads go down so smooth you don't realize how much you're drinking till you try to get up and can't.

If you check out the Newbee guide over there to the left, it'll explain a lot about fermentation to you, and I think it'll tell you how to figure out how much alcohol is in your creation.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I just realized I called regular wine "traditional" in my last post. Mead is really traditional wine while modern wine is, well, modern.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns