• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Who knows New Orleans?

Barrel Char Wood Products

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
;DI'm going to NO in April for a birthday weekend (not mine).

I used to go pretty regularly, but since the girls were born 12 years ago, I haven't been back. My favorite place is Gautreau's in the garden district and we will be going there for sure. Mother's and Acme and Zazerac and all the rest of the old places I've been to...

But is there any new stuff I might want to check out?

What's your favorite place for:

Gumbo
Etouffee
Soft Shell Crabs
Oysters

Anyone? ;D

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
;DI'm going to NO in April for a birthday weekend (not mine).

I used to go pretty regularly, but since the girls were born 12 years ago, I haven't been back. My favorite place is Gautreau's in the garden district and we will be going there for sure. Mother's and Acme and Zazerac and all the rest of the old places I've been to...

But is there any new stuff I might want to check out?

What's your favorite place for:

Gumbo
Etouffee
Soft Shell Crabs
Oysters

Anyone? ;D

How about Mr Google ;D

He seems to know most places and stuff.........;)

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
I lived in New Orleans for a number of years until Katrina ran me off.

The Gumbo House has really good gumbo. I would definitely drop by Napoleon House for muffulettas and Pim's cups. Down the street is K Paul's which is some of the best food in New Orleans.

Enjoy!

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Here's what my cousin sent back, minus the family oriented stuff.....

One place we have really only been to once, but we really liked - best roast beef po boy ever was the Parkway Tavern and Grocery - they make their own bread, on the street parking, and Obama has been there- very cross cultural / generational http://www.parkwaypoorboys.com/

We have gone to Mandina's for years. http://mandinasrestaurant.com/ seems to also feed a lot of locals - they DON'T take credit cards. Near Mandina'a is Angelo Brocatos http://angelobrocatoicecream.com/ for ice cream and desserts - over 100 years old with waitresses to match and we were once in a line out the door in the pouring rain. We don't generally do lines and we don't stand out in the rain much so you know it is good.

My boss' favorite place for oysters is Dragos http://www.dragosrestaurant.com/. We haven't been there yet - keep saying we will go there with him and his wife sometime - he actually likes the one in the suburbs (Metarie)better than the one in the city. We usually just went to Acme Oysters

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Awesome! Thanks guys!

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
One more thing. Go to the Bombay Club. It is in a hotel off Bourbon. Best martinis and food (duck) ever.

Also, the Cigar Factory has some wonderful Maduros if you are into cigars.

Last edited:

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
You can get Cuban cigars over here, but the ones I have had so far have been overrated. Here's one I want to try..

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/cigars/top25detail/year/2012/rank/6

I've always said that the best cigar is the one you like best.

I'm my case that cigar is the Romeo & Juliet Churchill. Sweet and chocolate mixed with awesome (I suck at those hoity toity cigar douche descriptions despite being a cigar douche). If you can get your hands on one of those aluminum tubes of awesomeness, do it. For me it's the perfect ending to a great meal when accompanied by a nice large glass of scotch.

I agree that a lot of the Cuban stuff is way overrated and people smoke them more often to be cool or whatever you are when you're sucking in carcinogens by the ton, but that cigar makes all other cigars seem like dry oak leaves.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
I used to prefer cheroots. Or something like Backwoods. At my son's graduation, he got a couple of really good cigars for us to celebrate with. I dont remember the producer, but they were named after elements... H2, I think, was the one I really liked.

I used to get cigars by the box from Thompson. I wasn't happy with the quality after a while and just stopped.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns