• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bottled, but corks blew off

Barrel Char Wood Products

redbeard12345

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is our first time making mead or any alcohol.
After 30 days fermentation we bottled it yesterday. Today the corks blew off.

Can I re-bottle it?
Will it be infected with bacteria?
Should I put it back into the demi-johns with water filter?
Cheers

ostensibly

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI
30 days is awfully quick, it's probably still fermenting. I'd def put it back into the demijohn until the gravity reads no changes for a couple of weeks (if you have a hydrometer). If no hydrometer, maybe wait til there's no airlock activity for a few weeks, cold crash and stabilize. then bottle.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
30 days is awfully quick, it's probably still fermenting. I'd def put it back into the demijohn until the gravity reads no changes for a couple of weeks (if you have a hydrometer). If no hydrometer, maybe wait til there's no airlock activity for a few weeks, cold crash and stabilize. then bottle.
+1 on that......

You're quite lucky that the corks blew and not the glass........

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
+2 on that, and it's still seriously fermenting if it only took a day to blow the corks! Back into the demijohn, and if you are worried about infection, get some campden tablets and some potassium sorbate and follow the directions to stabilize your mead before you re-bottle it, it should take care of stopping further fermentation as well as any infectious organisms that might have found their way in. Although I wouldn't be too worried about infection as it's difficult for bacteria to get a hold when active fermentation's still going on. And the hydrometer's a good idea too.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
+1 opening high carbed bottles is unpleasant if warm.

Try not to disturb the corked bottles too much, I'd hate for you to trigger the fuse on a bottle bomb.
I'd dress in heavy clothes and wear safety glasses.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns