• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bottled mead...too late to experiment?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Ghost99

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 5, 2015
Hi Folks!

I appreciate this is probably a very silly question but here goes:
My wife and I (new mead converts) bottled our very first batch of mead yesterday, 30 bottles of Traditional made with Dandilion honey, separated into 4 different yeasts. They taste nice but a bit 'boring' so young, which I understand is fairly common, and we've commited to aging them about 6 to 9 months before really basing any opinion on their true character. They're about 6 weeks old now.

What we're wondering though, is it possible at this point, to add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, small quantities of fruit etc to any of the bottles as experiments, then create a vaccuum and recork? Or is it too late at this point. (Absolutely realize this is not the correct way to add ingredients to mead properly :) Just askin' if this is doable without wasting our time and/or ruining the bottle!

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
There is a risk of oxidation but why not just try it on a couple of bottles? Then if it gets ruined you'll know not to do it to the others.

If it works, you do it to the rest. Who knows? Once it ages you might like it better plain. And if your experiment works, your base is aged and better tasting anyway.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
I think the fruit would be the most problematic. Personally I have no idea how I'd go about adding fruit to a bottled mead. Spices I think are very doable, although there is the problem of not over or under spicing when dealing with such small quantities. In larger batches this problem is lessened since any over or under spicing is spread out over many bottles
You could also do other test batches from scratch since 30 bottles is not so much in 9 months. This way once the 9 months are over you'll have other different meads midway through aging. This is unless you want to use the feedback you get from these 30 bottles to help you improve your technique on future batches

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns