• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First Melomel: Punching the Cap and Duration of Secondary Fermentation?

Barrel Char Wood Products

msheald

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 30, 2015
Hello! I am in the process of making a one gallon batch of peach melomel. After two weeks, the primary fermentation in the glass carboy is bubbling about once every 15 seconds. I plan to transfer to a bucket with air lock and add the 3 pounds of frozen peaches when the primary fermentation gets down to a bubble every 30 seconds.

I've read about punching the cap. Can I just stir the contents about twice a day for a week or is there a specific method to punching the cap? Does the aeration cause any problems, like vinegar formation?

How long does the secondary fermentation last? Should I add some yeast nutrient and energizer to support the fermentation since I would think it would start up again with the addition of fruit sugars?

After the secondary fermentation is finished, I plan on transferring the mead to a glass carboy with air lock for bulk aging for 6 to 24 months.

Best regards.

Mike

bmwr75

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2014
Northeast Mississippi
Hello Mike,

Using air bubble rate to judge fermentation is iffy. Suggest you get a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity. Amazon.com sells them: http://www.amazon.com/Brew-Tapper-T...TF8&qid=1444828960&sr=8-3&keywords=hydrometer

Punching the cap down is something you worry about in primary fermentation when the fruit cap is exposed to air.

Secondary fermentation lasts until it is done.....there is no rule of thumb. That is why a hydrometer is needed to measure the S.G. and determine when it is stable.

Nutrients and energizer are not used during secondary fermentation in my experience.

Regards,
Scott

msheald

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 30, 2015
Hello! Thank you for your note. I'll be adding the fruit during secondary fermentation. Is the cap handled the same during secondary fermentation as during primary fermentation? Thank you and best regards.

Mike

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns