• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Second Batch in the Bottles - Question

Barrel Char Wood Products

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
Hi folks,

Just bottled my second gallon batch. It tastes just a little hot and smells just a little yeasty. Even so, it's crystal clear and drinkable now, as long as you are not picky. All in all, I'm pleased.

Question, what would be your guess on how long to let it age in the bottles before I crack one open and give it a try?

EbonHawk

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 24, 2014
Dothan, AL, USA
Haha...need recipe and details, but other than that. Basically, the longer it sits the better it will be. Up to a point, of course (maybe years).

The beauty of making my own stuff, is I can taste it whenever I want. If I've only got the one batch, and I like the flavor well enough, I'll crack one open every month of so. Most small batches last about a year this way and I can see what it tastes like at different aging lengths. Now that I've been making a lot more, I can wait longer because I've tried a few and I like them a bit more aged than just 3 or 4 months. Nothing wrong with them, I just know how good they can be and I can afford to be more patient for a bigger payoff.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Like Ebon said. We would need to see your log with all the info you have to maybe have an idea. We could also give you advice to make your future batches better.

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
No log. Just followed a recipe. I realize that's not the way to do it. I promise I'll do it right the next time!!

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
No log. Just followed a recipe. I realize that's not the way to do it. I promise I'll do it right the next time!!

Lots of recipes are filled with things that are out of touch with modern techniques. Post your recipe before you make it and ask for comments.

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
Sorry to be so thick headed. Just enjoying the new hobby and trying to start a casual conversation. Go back to kicking your dogs and yelling at the kids on your lawn!

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
OK. I'm being a little thin skinned. Sorry about that. I started the batch before the importance of documentation was clear to me. Needless to say, I understand now.

zpeckler

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
Newark, De
I'm sure Squatchy didn't mean anything by it. He's right, there are a ton of older mead recipes out there that don't incorporate modern best practices. Plus, even if you follow the recipe to the letter the yeast will often have different ideas! The recipe is just a starting point in most cases.

Even if you didn't take notes, could you post the recipe you followed?

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
Well, dang! The link to the recipe is broken and I did not save it.

I'm drinking a glass from the last quarter bottle off the bottom of the gallon and I have to say it's not too bad. I will be starting a new batch within the next couple of notes and I will take meticulous notes.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns